2018 New motor recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah - I blew out my cranky.

It was a time folks and sounded just like camphasers. Until it chattered itself apart.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
You likely toasted a bearing or three. What is known for SURE is that poking it with low oil WILL cause the oil pickup to uncover and suck air. Adam @ZFG Racing discovered and posted about it a while back. It will suck air and drop oil pressure with full oil if you’re tuned running more power.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It runs and sounds good for 5 minutes? Are you sure you did not just lose the oil pump? The oil pressure relief valve maybe be sticking open.

full-race geoff

Reaction score
Needs to be a 3.5 HO.
@FordTechOne why does it need to be the HO? I am not meaning to sound ignorant, I truly can't find much differentiation outside of the turbos and downpipes/exhaust configuration

Yeah - I blew out my cranky.
any chance you have a photo of the harmonic balancer/crank pulley from the failed engine?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You likely toasted a bearing or three. What is known for SURE is that poking it with low oil WILL cause the oil pickup to uncover and suck air. Adam @ZFG Racing discovered and posted about it a while back. It will suck air and drop oil pressure with full oil if you’re tuned running more power.
Not to doubt you, wondering how just a tune matters, or does the tune then allow the truck to be driven more aggressively which causes the oil pump to suck air.

Reminds me of the first rear wheel drive overdrive transmissions Ford built. If you drove over 95 mph for more than a couple miles (this was back when speed limits where 55mph) the over drive clutch would run dry and once you slowed down the trans would just go into neutral unless you moved the shifter to just drive, then you had a normal 3 speed transmission.

Engineering thinking " no one will ever do that "

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne why does it need to be the HO? I am not meaning to sound ignorant, I truly can't find much differentiation outside of the turbos and downpipes/exhaust configuration

any chance you have a photo of the harmonic balancer/crank pulley from the failed engine?
You have an HO, but if you want to loose 75HP and 40lbft torque use a non-HO.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Not to doubt you, wondering how just a tune matters, or does the tune then allow the truck to be driven more aggressively which causes the oil pump to suck air.

Reminds me of the first rear wheel drive overdrive transmissions Ford built. If you drove over 95 mph for more than a couple miles (this was back when speed limits where 55mph) the over drive clutch would run dry and once you slowed down the trans would just go into neutral unless you moved the shifter to just drive, then you had a normal 3 speed transmission.

Engineering thinking " no one will ever do that "
The sump of the oil pan is at the rear as it should be, but the pickup tube inlet is at the front of that sump area such that the (tuned especially) hard launch from stopped or even low first gear speed, it can uncover the pickup for some small amount of time to allow a gulp of air that WILL show up as a dip in data logs that include oil pressure. I was a huge skeptic initially until I started monitoring oil pressure in my data. It’s a FACT that it happens and the more often you like to “punch it” from low speed the greater the risk to the rod bearings. A forum member spun a bearing not long after some mods because he was having so much fun poking it with the new power There were no other issues noted in the data OTHER than the consistent oil pressure dip. I also have lots of data that plainly shows it until I started running a 1/2 qt over full. It doesn’t matter to me if anyone believes it, but they should.