Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Line-ex products are good for say the wheel wells and maybe the frame. I have heard complaints of the exaggerated sound when rocks hit it. But for everything else like the drive train, shocks, etc you couldn't really use them like described.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry. I am not sure how good the quality of it is, probably pretty good. Since some dealers use it as an add on service during their prep I would believe that it is good. I can't even find any for sale though, is it just something from dealers and line-x dealers?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Update on the "New" comparison testing between Amsoil MPHD Heavy Duty Metal Protector, LPS3 Premium Rust Inhibitor and ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Formula Metal Protector.

First thing I notice right off the bat is the cost. The LPS3 shipped cost was $27.49 to ship to me and the ACF-50 was $27.58 while the Amsoil shipped at the retail cost about $16-18 depending on where you live. The I ordered them all the same day and the LPS3 and ACF-50 arrived two days later while Amsoil arrived three days later.

A couple of observations even before I get started. Since the Amsoil MPHD sprays on with a yellow/brown tint before curing. Because of this, for anyone using it on a motorcycle may not like it if is isn't allowed to cure in the hot sun for a good while. According to talking with Mike Hammer it seems that the combination of the heat and direct UV rays to get it to cure properly; possibly.

The Amsoil MPHD is also NOT recommended for guns. The ACF-50 has an actual list of recommended uses including throttle cables but not guns. LPS3 also has a long list of specific uses listed on the can that doesn't include guns.

IF choosing between them for undercoating a truck or any vehicle, the smaller size of the LPS3 and ACF-50 doesn't work out. First, depending on your shipping rate you could pay almost double for almost about 31% less actual product with the LPS3 and 25% less actual product with the ACF-50 than what you receive when you order Amsoil MPHD. But in doing so you also are paying 42% less for the Amsoil MPHD larger can than either of the other two when shipping is included.

Right off the bat, I am biased.

I will update further as I get set up.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
get on it Chris

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

BTW, i tried out the MPHD I got on my current "old" truck the other day. I would describe the stuff as "neat". It goes on very easily and one thing I definitely like is the matte sheen it gives the dark surfaces including the wheel well liners!

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Ballistol. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Hands down the best anti-corrosion CLP I've ever seen, for what it's worth.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ballistol. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Hands down the best anti-corrosion CLP I've ever seen, for what it's worth.

By all accounts Ballistol is a great lubricant for guns, the application for which it was designed. Depending on where you get it, I did a little price checking to start off with and found that a 6oz aerosol spray can will cost you about close to the same as a 16 ounce can of Amsoil MPHD. With that cost in mind, I am not sure if it truly fits with this thread. At that cost, it may not exactly be feasible as an undercoating.

HOWEVER, this information and opinion is just that, my personal opinion. I have never personally used Ballistol, I am going solely on the cost for now since the application we are testing for is undercoating trucks.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have that at my shop. Every manufacturer says anti corrosion, rust protection etc etc. The question is, how good is it and under what conditions.

Ballistol is just mineral oil I think, check the MSDS sheet.

With that said Ballistol will not do well for an undercoating. It will wash off it was not made to do that.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick update, I went to a local machine shop and picked up four sample test pieces of steel. I am going to clean them up well for the test and then coat three with the products and keep everyone up to date.

SAMPLE_TESTING_STEEL.jpg

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the same metal pieces that Mike used in his first testing. Cleaning my other pieces proved to be counter productive. Bare with me while I get those in and get started.