Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the same metal pieces that Mike used in his first testing. Cleaning my other pieces proved to be counter productive. Bare with me while I get those in and get started.

You will need to clean those up also but its minor. No pitting or anything like that. Just needs a quick pass with a sander.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I was ending up with with the other pieces. It was proving near to impossible to get anything even close to a "decent finish". I had to use a grinder and doing so evenly across those pieces wasn't working very well. I don't mind hitting them with a sander, just want things to be as flat and even as possible on the surface...

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want a harsh test environment, see if a local reefkeeper is around who can give you some old salt water.

The shit corroded everything metal in my basement from the salt spray.

That's a good idea, but I don't have one of those guys around.

From what I have read, Eight tablespoons of salt (4 fluid ounces) added to one gallon of water (128 fluid ounces) will give you a good approximation of seawater.

Soon as I get some free time, maybe next week, I will start the other test. I will use the above to spray.

Again a big thanks to our forum sponsor CLkelley (Ams oil.) He bought the ACF 50 and sent it to me to use in the next test.

My Raptor, John Deere 4x4, and John Deere ride on mower are all coated with the AMS MPHD.

Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would like to point out that MPHD is perfect for Guns that are intended for long term storage.
It is like Cosmoline but easier to apply and remove.
Just like Cosmoline it has to be removed from the bore prior to use.

Update on the "New" comparison testing between Amsoil MPHD Heavy Duty Metal Protector, LPS3 Premium Rust Inhibitor and ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Formula Metal Protector.

First thing I notice right off the bat is the cost. The LPS3 shipped cost was $27.49 to ship to me and the ACF-50 was $27.58 while the Amsoil shipped at the retail cost about $16-18 depending on where you live. The I ordered them all the same day and the LPS3 and ACF-50 arrived two days later while Amsoil arrived three days later.

A couple of observations even before I get started. Since the Amsoil MPHD sprays on with a yellow/brown tint before curing. Because of this, for anyone using it on a motorcycle may not like it if is isn't allowed to cure in the hot sun for a good while. According to talking with Mike Hammer it seems that the combination of the heat and direct UV rays to get it to cure properly; possibly.

The Amsoil MPHD is also NOT recommended for guns. The ACF-50 has an actual list of recommended uses including throttle cables but not guns. LPS3 also has a long list of specific uses listed on the can that doesn't include guns.

IF choosing between them for undercoating a truck or any vehicle, the smaller size of the LPS3 and ACF-50 doesn't work out. First, depending on your shipping rate you could pay almost double for almost about 31% less actual product with the LPS3 and 25% less actual product with the ACF-50 than what you receive when you order Amsoil MPHD. But in doing so you also are paying 42% less for the Amsoil MPHD larger can than either of the other two when shipping is included.

Right off the bat, I am biased.

I will update further as I get set up.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out that MPHD is perfect for Guns that are intended for long term storage.
It is like Cosmoline but easier to apply and remove.
Just like Cosmoline it has to be removed from the bore prior to use.

That is actually very useful information. That being said, Amsoil does offer another metal protector as well though, and I am going to have to order more of it so that I can test it as well. The Amsoil Metal Protector (That isn't the Heavy Duty metal protector) that is perfect for guns overall.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm! Isn't Florida surrounded by salt water?

Yes it is. But it's a time issue for me. You can dup the salt water with the mixture above. He also said search out a reefkeeper.

I can get salt water easy but why when I can dup it from the mixture above.