Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are reef clubs in almost every metro area; just have to know how to find them. I didn't realize you were in FL when I posted that, and figured I might be able to help direct to a reefkeeper.

I would wonder if true ocean salt water has enough stuff besides Na to make a difference in corrosion.

It should make a more harsh environment anyway. Or I could treat some metal & leave it next to my saltwater sump, which constantly puts out salt spray. (flow rate is 700 gallons per hour, and it falls from a 13' head height).

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are reef clubs in almost every metro area; just have to know how to find them. I didn't realize you were in FL when I posted that, and figured I might be able to help direct to a reefkeeper.

I would wonder if true ocean salt water has enough stuff besides Na to make a difference in corrosion.

There are differences in table salt and seawater. Seawater contains additional minerals that are not present in table salt. But not enough minerals to really make a difference in a test and that's just my thoughts. I am no scientist.

Here are the minerals from my research below:

"There are many different components of sea water. However, there are eleven ions that make up its main chemicals. Those eleven chemicals, are (in grams per kilogram of water): Chloride (19.l35), Sodium (10.76), Sulfate (2.712), Magnesium (1.294), Calcium (0.413), Potassium (0.387), Bicarbonate (0.142), Bromide (0.067), Strontium (0.008), Boron (0.004), and Fluoride (0.001)"

So my research says Chloride and sodium are the elements in table salt and seem to be the two most abundant chemicals in the makeup of sea water also. So just coming from a "regular guy" perspective, I think we will be OK. We got the bulk of it.

Also , if the test were run again with different products, you would want the exact same spray mixture which can be made easy.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spray yout truck and go drive in the ocean. at pismo you have to cross water to get to the dunes......... pretty much the same thing....

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The test pieces are sprayed and curing in my little shop where the inside temp is hovering around 75*. We'll see how long the curing process takes. Click the link below to see my thoughts on the initial application.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f195...al-protector-amh-17731/index3.html#post300832

AMSOIL on the far left, then ACF-50, LPS3 and then the untreated control.
Test_Metal_02.jpg

Big Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info in this thread. Has anyone heard of or used Valugard as an under body coating?

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd Test Begining..... 8 products to test.

I first want to thank our forum sponsor Chris Kelly "clkelly" from Amsoil, he donated the ACF, not even his product and the Amsoil Metal Protector. I think he is a fair and really honest guy. Just looking to get us the best product to use, his or someone Else's. The HD Metal Protector that most of us use as an undercoat I had, that's what I used on my Raptor based on the last test.

Materials

All the metal info is at the beginning of this thread. Nothing has changed, same metal but more of it.

What Kind Of Test?

On this test its going to be semi indoors. No sun or rain will hit it like last time. Its under a very protected over hang at my house. I live in Florida weather is like 70 to 85 right now. I will spray with a salt solution one time per day. From what I have read on the web "Eight tablespoons of salt (4 fluid ounces) added to one gallon of water (128 fluid ounces) will give you a good approximation of seawater." To size that down a bit 8oz and a teaspoon of salt. So that's what we will use.

Lets Start!!!!!

I sanded down all the steel, then decreased with gloves on, then sprayed each one by hand. Product in one hand and metal in another. I used a new set of gloves to prevent contamination with each product. I gave them a nice even coat. So they are untouched by human hands.

Take note I used the same steel for he Amsoil, Boeshield and Fluid Film, I had steel stamped them A, B and FF you guys can see that from the top view picture. I needed to make sure the test was pure. So those 3 guys got there old steel back.

Steel in last test was flat on the table, in this test it will be slightly at an angle.

This test is sort of a mix of things. I threw in some gun products to test. Allot of us on this forum are shooters and all the products say they prevent rust. I am of the opinion that no product is the triple threat as is claimed "Cleaner, Lube, and Rust Protection" I like a cleaner to clean, a lube to lube and a rust protector to delay rust. I happen to use the FP 10 as a lube only. It comes out good in the tests I have researched, so I wanted to see what it does as an anti rust product. The Eezox peaked my interest from things I have read.

So it's a under coat and rust test. Things should move quick with the salt spray. I will give it one week to cure. So starting next that will be the first spray.

2nd Test 1.jpg2nd Test2.jpgTop View 3.jpg

Last edited:

Fergusf16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Summit Racing, which is 5 mins from my house and was going to buy the amsoil. They did not have it or anything else I wanted. They raved about Fluid Film and a store nearby sold it by the aerosol can to me for 11 bucks. I was hesitant, but just finished and love how it went on. I figure I will have to reapply every year, but wanted to get it on the truck now as I have had it less than a week. It took two cans to do. I did the frame, leaf springs, under the running boards and lightly covered the shocks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 80