New? Volant intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound of it is quieter than the Henessey. Outlaw also removed the baffle box above the throttle body or whater that box is that says 6.2 on it.

I get a deeper cab vibration around 2k rpm where the old intake use to do a quick vibration. Its much more of a drone, but sounds like more like the later model mustangs kinda. Its got that vortex whooooop sound to it. (if that makes sense).

Around 3500 rpm its a much deeper sound as well. The Henessey was what I called "dropping a raptor bomb" which sounded like a dirtbikes powerband pretty much all the way to 5500 RPM+. The volant is much quieter above 4k rpm, but I believe louder than stock. Deeper sound to it.

The performance is MUCH MUCH MUCH more uniform though. I got off the 405 and still had the same performance more or less as I did when it was cold under the hood. The Henessey LOSES a lot of power from all the engine heat, and that POS Henessey intake breaks into pieces and gets damaged when you offroad it.

So far the new Volant is a win. Kinda wish the pipe was metal so I had the same sweet raptor bomb making noise I use to have with the Henessey.

I am not sure about HP between the two intakes. The henessey might have more power when its cold under the hood, but thats only for the first 5 minutes of driving the truck until it warms up. Then the power went down. The volant however seems like a few hp less, cause I think the Henessey adds 20hp, I would think the volant adds around ~10hp, but that 10hp is even while the engine is hot, because its a CAI.
I am no expert on how much HP is under the hood, but I have 23k miles with the Henessey so I know it pretty good.

I would say the Volant is a drastically improved version of the stock system with baffles removed, etc. Whereas the Henessey is for street queens that never see dirt.

With the Henessey, the K&N and steel tube (or its aluminum, not sure) really sound sweet, until like I said it heats up under the engine. In summer, in the sand, in 90+ temps, the Henessey loses so much power I pulled over and opened the hood to cool the engine. I am hoping I dont have this issue with the closed CAI.

Also, these Volants from what I hear have amazing filters. So its nice to keep that Henessey dust out of my engine haha

Last edited:

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like Outlaw had to cut part of the bracket on the remote start. The cords barley clear the hood shock mount, and the other side of the remote start bracket may touch the resi.

WP_20130109_012_zps4ee2f7c4.jpg

WP_20130109_014_zps4ce50ee4.jpg

WP_20130109_013_zpsf5255685.jpg

I noticed the old resi mount was attached to the old air intake box. So if you remove the old intake box, the resi mount has to go too. Since Volant had to remove the box, they probably opted to use more space for the new intake box and make the resi a different size or shape. Makes sense, since you had to remove it anyways with the old intake box.

I am also really liking the sound of the intake. It definately has a lot more balls than stock now that I drove it for the 3rd time.

The intake gets pretty hot, but I put my hand inside by the filter and it felt pretty cool in there. The only hot parts were the tube and tube couplings. The air that its pulling is much cooler, so hopefully it doesnt have too much time to heat up in the tube.

Last edited:

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think when your tromping on it the air does not have time to heat up, in slow traffic for sure. I took mine for a good drive long enough to get the oil temperature up, came back popped the hood the engine obviously hot but was surprised the tube was still cool to the touch. I will have to try a longer drive to see how much it heats up.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think when your tromping on it the air does not have time to heat up, in slow traffic for sure. I took mine for a good drive long enough to get the oil temperature up, came back popped the hood the engine obviously hot but was surprised the tube was still cool to the touch. I will have to try a longer drive to see how much it heats up.

Well I took 2 days worth of underhood temps in 94+ ambient around town and on the highway with AC on all the time. In town I never got the underhood temps to match ambient. it took 2 minutes on the highway to clear the underhood temp and get it to match ambient temp. If your CAI is drawing underhood air you are losing HP around town...

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its about 70 today and I drove 3 miles from work to home, going about 30-40 mph, somewhat higher rpms :)

Went to pep boys for some carb cleaner real quick. When I came back out I stuck my head under the front fender and MAN was it hot down there! Then I drove 2 blocks to home. Popped the hood and felt the intake, the pipe and box were hot on top, like the heat rose to the top only for the most part. The bottom of the intake box was much cooler, which is where it draws in air, especially while moving.

I'll keep an eye on my engine temps to make sure everything is running smoothly, but I dont think I have any issues (other than driving like an a-hole sometimes) :D