New? Volant intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the INJEN CAI and it uses the Donaldson Nanofiber material on the filter. Easy installation and quality is very good.
I replaced the AFE which was crap and had fitment isues, no where near as bad as the Volant but enough to **** me off.

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I agree with others that the Donaldson filters seem to be the best options out there, but everyone appears to be having issues with the Volant customer service, vibrations, noise, etc....what are you all planning to switch over to? Anything else comparably designed?

Its a shame the few of us had to have bad luck with the volant product, It is a very nice CAI, the funny thing is all the plumbing, air box, fittings, all are a perfect fit, just the dame bracket was the problem, and the problem realy isn't the product, its there staff and how they handle and treat us the customer. Now this also can be the case with the bracket, I ordered this last weak from one of our venders, it could be older stock before any corrections were made, so I will be contacting them to give them a heads up, and maybe spare someone else the bull.
But what I think would be great, having some of our venders who sell the volant product step up , like clKelley stated in a post.
This is a good thought,some of these companies are only the manufacturers, WE ARE THE R&D DEPARTMENT, (like I said SOME not all) Not totaly bashing the product, just the customer sevice.

I had to edit and add this link, THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMMMMMM, could anyone tell me what CAI THIS IS http://www.dbexhaust.com/product_display.aspx?product=1157 REBRANDING AT IT'S BEST.

Last edited:

bigsplash

Reaction score
interesting thread on the install of the Volant CAI. I installed one today on my 2013, and it took MUCH longer than I expected, or hoped it would. Had to modify the coolant tank bracket by drilling out the bolt hole that attached to the side wall as it was 5 -10 mm off, and had to 'hammer' the remote start bracket to fit as the provided bracket does not allow space for the OEM part. The fit of the new coolant tank aside the filter box and the other reservoir is too tight, i do not like the fact they all seem under pressure against each other. Also, the top plate of the filter box does not fit properly...there are gaps around the sides. some of the bolts, especially the one for the filter box to the coolant tank bracket and even more so the one in the ram air intake, are miserable to try and access and tighten. I think my chest is bruised from hanging over the front wall to get into position to access them...hahaha. The lack of instructions made it much more difficult than i think it should have been...it would be nice to have more guidance, especially since my truck is a 2013 and the online videos (that show the install in about 1:30 minutes), are representative of older models.

After install, i ran the truck and immediately noticed a more distinguished throttle response, and a much more primal sound when the engine revs. I only ran the truck a short while, mostly watching the temp gauges to make sure the truck did not overheat :). i will provide more updates as i run the truck a bit more...

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting thread on the install of the Volant CAI. I installed one today on my 2013, and it took MUCH longer than I expected, or hoped it would. Had to modify the coolant tank bracket by drilling out the bolt hole that attached to the side wall as it was 5 -10 mm off, and had to 'hammer' the remote start bracket to fit as the provided bracket does not allow space for the OEM part. The fit of the new coolant tank aside the filter box and the other reservoir is too tight, i do not like the fact they all seem under pressure against each other. Also, the top plate of the filter box does not fit properly...there are gaps around the sides. some of the bolts, especially the one for the filter box to the coolant tank bracket and even more so the one in the ram air intake, are miserable to try and access and tighten. I think my chest is bruised from hanging over the front wall to get into position to access them...hahaha. The lack of instructions made it much more difficult than i think it should have been...it would be nice to have more guidance, especially since my truck is a 2013 and the online videos (that show the install in about 1:30 minutes), are representative of older models.

After install, i ran the truck and immediately noticed a more distinguished throttle response, and a much more primal sound when the engine revs. I only ran the truck a short while, mostly watching the temp gauges to make sure the truck did not overheat :). i will provide more updates as i run the truck a bit more...

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I really liked the looks of this intake, seemed to have a good filter and a closed design. I was pretty exited about it until I started reading about all the fitment issues. I think I am going to stick with the stock intake and maybe get a drop in filter. It looks like Volant dropped the ball on this one.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated in my last response I am working on collecting as much data as possible so that I can work with Volant to improve their product deficiencies. That being said, for anyone and everyone that has offered these great detailed reviews on not only the Volant customer service, but also the issues with the installations, please forward pictures to me if you can to [email protected] so that I can have something tangible to show Volant.

That being said, as for things being too tight, I will only add that I have installed many different brands of intakes (again, not specifically on the Raptors) but have found that this is quite common. I have even found that stock intakes on many vehicles are the same way. However, having all of this information and pictures to be able to get Volant on the same page with all of our wishes is key to getting the overall quality intake I am confident they would like to provide.

I have got your backs on this, whether you bought or buy an intake from me doesn't matter. I have a little more time on my hands than some of our other loyal vendors simply because I do not own a shop and do not have to fit this type of thing into an already busy schedule. Not saying I have a LOT of time, but I do have more time than most for this type of working with the manufacturer for the benefit of everyone involved.

I really hope I can help to get this all worked out, but I am sure it will not be a quick fix as there will be time taken in the redesign. But, since they provide the only truly sealed intake for the Raptor at this point, I would LOVE to have one on my Raptor so I am all in with the rest of you.

bigsplash

Reaction score
Here are a few pics from the kit installed...mostly showing the misfits and the areas that seem to be too tight. On the one with the bracket mounted, you will see the foam on the back side that is supposed to be flush against the truck, however due to the interference with the coolant tank that is now must sit on top of, it does not sit flush and bows outward...

Attachments

• 2013_Raptor_volant_01.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_01.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_02.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_02.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_03.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_03.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_04.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_04.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_10.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_10.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_05.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_05.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_06.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_06.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_07.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_07.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 54
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_08.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_08.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013_Raptor_volant_09.jpg
    2013_Raptor_volant_09.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 51

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Was this a Joke?

Anyone know w/out proper funneling air will not flow faster with no filter and at idle or on a dyno CAI's never shine.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Totally agree...and then some.

What's your opinion now after a lot of time?