Windshield delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday I was removing an old windshield decal from my 2019 Raptor and I saw bubbles all over the top of the windshield (close to the edge) that started to go down on the sides... The windshield got replaced by Safelite few months after I purchase the truck as a stone cracked it on the freeway (more or less 4 years ago). I have no idea when this ugly delamination started. At this point there are no other issues other than it looks bad and probably will extend in time. :mad: I saw on-line that this is frequent on windshields with no molding but... Do any of you have that on your trucks? I was thinking to contact Safelite and open a warranty claim but not sure at this point (technically they offer lifetime warranty but I don't know what to expect of it at this point)

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 6

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Probably they used non-OEM glass when they replaced it. OEM costs more, sometimes significantly more and insurance companies replace the windshield with the lowest cost option. It’s on you if you want to spend extra.

I despise safelite. their commercials are hugely misleading. You can schedule an appointment any time, but they may not get to you for months. Seriously, my wife and I both tried scheduling first an onsite repair and then a shop visit and the first time it was 3 months out. First time I busted the Rap windshield safelite says ‘yes, we have the windshield for your truck’ I don’t believe them and give them my VIN to have them confirm it. They do. I show up and guess what- No, they don’t have my windshield.
You can always just go there and hope for the best - and maybe that’s the way as I’ll describe below. 2nd time we got similar - 6 weeks for a scheduled replacement. Both times we went with local crews and were satisfied with the results.

Then I busted my Rap glass on the causeway to south padre island. I don’t know why I bothered but I found a shop that alleged to have my windshield. I schedule a morning appointment, 15 minutes after opening. I’m guessing they prioritize people who “just show up” because at 15:30, my truck hadn’t even moved. They close at 6, so I tell them, next in or I leave. So they move the truck in the shop and continue working on people without appointments. 3 people in and out before my truck is even opened up.

it’s 16:45 now and I’m like ‘where’s my truck’... 17:00 they finally start. I’m pretty steamed because I have somewhere to be by 1800. They get all the way finished with replacement but come out and proclaim “we got the windshield done, but our recalibration machine isn’t working” I interrupt and say ‘give me the truck and I’ll have the local stealership do it’. much argument ensues, and before the clock runs out, they fix the calibration machine, ask for 10 minutes and finish.
the manager agrees this was not handled well by him and his staff. he comps the repair.
and then charges me for 3 days later.

Go local, even if costs more.

OP
OP
Tibi Steri

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Probably they used non-OEM glass when they replaced it. OEM costs more, sometimes significantly more and insurance companies replace the windshield with the lowest cost option. It’s on you if you want to spend extra.

I despise safelite. their commercials are hugely misleading. You can schedule an appointment any time, but they may not get to you for months. Seriously, my wife and I both tried scheduling first an onsite repair and then a shop visit and the first time it was 3 months out. First time I busted the Rap windshield safelite says ‘yes, we have the windshield for your truck’ I don’t believe them and give them my VIN to have them confirm it. They do. I show up and guess what- No, they don’t have my windshield.
You can always just go there and hope for the best - and maybe that’s the way as I’ll describe below. 2nd time we got similar - 6 weeks for a scheduled replacement. Both times we went with local crews and were satisfied with the results.

Then I busted my Rap glass on the causeway to south padre island. I don’t know why I bothered but I found a shop that alleged to have my windshield. I schedule a morning appointment, 15 minutes after opening. I’m guessing they prioritize people who “just show up” because at 15:30, my truck hadn’t even moved. They close at 6, so I tell them, next in or I leave. So they move the truck in the shop and continue working on people without appointments. 3 people in and out before my truck is even opened up.

it’s 16:45 now and I’m like ‘where’s my truck’... 17:00 they finally start. I’m pretty steamed because I have somewhere to be by 1800. They get all the way finished with replacement but come out and proclaim “we got the windshield done, but our recalibration machine isn’t working” I interrupt and say ‘give me the truck and I’ll have the local stealership do it’. much argument ensues, and before the clock runs out, they fix the calibration machine, ask for 10 minutes and finish.
the manager agrees this was not handled well by him and his staff. he comps the repair.
and then charges me for 3 days later.

Go local, even if costs more.
My experience with them was not that bad (at least on the appointments side) although they did the work twice… First time they installed one that had a defect; 1 week later I called them and they replaced it with another one under the warranty (actually 2, one they broke at installation and the one I currently have). Every single time I was told that they used an OEM for replacement but I assume, even if true, they are probably getting some low grade, factory rejects! The work was not that bad, calibration was fine, I did not have any water leaks and the windshield is still in the right place.:driver:Anyway, I am definitely reserved of getting their services again and I would not recommend them. I think I don't want them to touch this again...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vicsRaptor