Window trim rattle/vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is my B pillar rattle I hear if I open my sunroof. If I close my sunroof it stops.

If I have sunroof open AND I open the rear window, it also stops.
Had this same noise occur again today on the freeway at 80mph. All windows closed. This time it was more persistent and lasted for awhile. I was able to reliably and repeatedly eliminate the noise by applying outward pressure to the glass itself with my fingers as in my pic below.

My suspicion is the glass itself isn’t providing a tight enough seal against the outer weather stripping. I haven’t come up with a solution yet but am thinking of just sticking some 3m foam tape or something between the door metal and weather stripping to tighten up the clearance between the glass and rubber in that upper corner.

IMG_7898.jpeg

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had this same noise occur again today on the freeway at 80mph. All windows closed. This time it was more persistent and lasted for awhile. I was able to reliably and repeatedly eliminate the noise by applying outward pressure to the glass itself with my fingers as in my pic below.

My suspicion is the glass itself isn’t providing a tight enough seal against the outer weather stripping. I haven’t come up with a solution yet but am thinking of just sticking some 3m foam tape or something between the door metal and weather stripping to tighten up the clearance between the glass and rubber in that upper corner.

View attachment 432504
I was able to do the same, but by slightly wedging my finger in between the door itself and the weatherstripping. Same area you pressed on.

I don’t think the top of the door seals well to the body of the truck.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took a close look today and my theory is that the outer weather stripping between the glass and exterior b pillar gloss black trim has a spot where it “dents” in. The driver and passenger both do this, but on the driver side it’s more pronounced and the weather stripping doesn’t lap over the b pillar trim, so I think at speed air is forced behind the plastic b pillar trim causing turbulence and also the weather stripping to violently flap around.

I think I’ll either try silicone or some adhesive to prevent the air from getting in there.

IMG_7902.jpeg

EndlessEight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s probably not the window itself, it’s the hard plastic coated power cord. When the window is open, the cord rolls up between the glass which allows it to vibrate against the glass. I folded down my rear seat and pulled the cord up out of its track with the slider closed. Then I wrapped it in Tessa tape, and put it back into the track. It stopped all of the noises coming from that slider window.

So I got the Tessa tape and did exactly as you mentioned today. This 100% resolved the issue.

Thank you.