What's next for Ford Raptor now that Ram came out with the RHO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless they start using carbon fiber i dont see where or how they make it lghter
There have been developments in grades and the use of advanced high strength steel that are being incorporated into more automotive designs for light weighting. Slow process with required tooling, validation and process changes. BUT… plenty of light weighting opportunities left.

Last edited:

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They could offer the Raptor in the extended cab again. Definitely some weight shedding there. I would head straight to the dealer.
1714935564404.jpeg

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i remember right the SCAB was only very slightly lighter. That missing B pillar needed a lot of extra strengthening to keep it from totally failing the offset crash tests which it did initially.

Ill take a SCREW…

That test right there will never have me in a SCAB.

Last edited:

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i remember right the SCAB was only very slightly lighter. That missing B pillar needed a lot of extra strengthening to keep it from totally failing the offset crash tests which it did initially.

Ill take a SCREW…

That test right there will never have me in a SCAB.
Maybe I like to live life on the edge, lol!

It would be interesting to see this test with an actual Raptor to see how much difference in frames.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They fixed the SCAB in 2016 …at least on the driver side…for the small overlap test. All SCAB gen 2s should have those fixes. The side impact though, B pillars are nice. The frame adjustments with the Raptors would be interesting to see if they make a crash test difference. I wonder how that front footwell does with a 37 jammed in there at 40 mph.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked for a while on the interwebs and couldn't find a test from any generation.
I guess they figured crashing a regular F150 was close enough for results and met their requirements. They know people are going to jump these trucks so you think they would test them.

Last edited:

Pyrofighting

Reaction score
Unfortunately the RHO does nothing to push competition. But remember, Ford has 15 years of customer feedback, three generations of R&D, and two Baja 500. Dodge is considerably behind when it comes to a competitor against the Raptor.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt very highly they are going to develop a new or even semi modified version of the HO 3.5 for the Raptor. They will have to increase power, and likely it’ll come at the expense of weight from a battery and motors. They already have a power boost, there is no way in all their staff meetings the idea of putting the hybrid in the raptor hasn’t come up at least once.

I think we've all seen the PB Raptor. I doubt they'll go the hybrid route mainstream with the Raptor as a bump in #'s.... Hybrids are still a huge turnoff for alot of people, especially a truck like a Raptor. I wouldn't give a PB Raptor a second look, I don't personally know another Raptor owner thatd take the jump on a PB Raptor.
I'd personally absolutely love a PHEV Raptor. I say it damn near every single time I get out of my wifes Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e-hybrid. For the types of driving we do and will likely do, it's just the best middle-for us. Speaking for her car, we can slip outta the neighborhood and do all of our running around town all on battery, getting 99.9mpg. When we get on the highway, we toss it in 'Hybrid Auto' mode, and when we need to use the Twin Turbo V8, it simply pops on, does its thing, and then turns off when not needed. We can go 83mph on electric-only in the Cayenne. When we want the full 670hp, it's there. Though we can also coast downhill and the engine turns off, the driveline fully disconnects and it'll gain speed all the while charging the battery a little bit and not burning a drop of fuel.

A hybrid Raptor would be incredible, but alas, I've driven a PowerBoost to see if it was something I'd be into and lets just say that I think there's a real, real reason that Porsche is at the price-point which they are. Last time I checked, Porsche assembled and delivered something like ~350,000 vehicles total, and Ford sold over a million F150's, not to mention all their other vehicles in the portfolio. Just wild to think about. That said, the Porsche hybrid system is incredibly smooth, seamless, and functional. I'd love a "Porsche Raptor", or hell I'd even settle for the fake Audi Truck.

Gimme a hybrid Raptor and make it actually pleasurable to drive. I've never drank coffee in my life, nor ever been through a Starbucks drive-thru, so I don't care about a little bit of weight when you have incredible functionality. My wifes car is single nicest thing I've ever driven, likely one of the quickest, definitely the fastest, second smoothest, and just bonkers that we can do 800+ on a tank with the way we drive and trips we do, all the while having nearly 700hp on tap whenever we need it.

Ford won't do that and if they did (ever) they'd price most of us out of it, anyway. Plus, it'd still be a damn F-150. That's my hangup with getting an "R" for the prices they still are asking. I nearly got a GT350R the other day and got preapproved through my bank, and they gave me values on all the VIN's that I provided in our garage. It's wild that a 2023 "R" that just sold on BaT for $127,000 was only valued at $97,875 wheras my truck with 15,000 miles and the puny V6 was valued at $91,100. Crazy how neither mine nor it would sell for those 'valued prices', but that's where the bank sees it. Thankfully that's near what the bank valued it at years ago when I bought it. Crazy enough, my wifes Cayenne has been going up in value, though the Mach 1 has dropped.

Anyway, a PB Raptor will never happen likely, but it'd be cool.

Attachments

• 1715009395362.png
    1715009395362.png
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 24