What are some economy front Big Brake Upgrade options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to do a front brake job on my 2014 Raptor Screw. I've always wanted to upgrade the brakes, so since the time has come, I'd like to hear what some of you have done to upgrade your brakes on a budget, for example, increased the rotor diameter and relocated the stock caliper outward 1/2" or got some JY 6 piston Brembo's from a mustang for $500 and they bolted right onto my Raptor (;)) or something like that. I tow a bass boat, and in the past, my other 1/2 ton truck brakes have warped brakes struggling to scrub speed on steep downhills, and this is why I'm exploring upgrades.

I know there are Baer, Brembo, Alcon, etc. kits for $4k-$6k, but those don't make practical dollars or sense for my 136k mile mostly street truck (unless you convince me otherwise). I'm thinkin' more on the line of the Wilwood AERO6-DM direct-mount 6 piston front brake kit for $1,800 (slightly out of budget), or the SSBC A414-20R front B8-Brawler direct fit 8 piston caliper upgrade kit at $1,550 (getting warmer!), or the CEIKA big brake kit that starts at $1,100 (suspicious and very imported looking)?

In a perfect world I could buy a pair of caliper relocation brackets and some slightly bigger diam rotors and just run stock calipers to get improved braking power and spend a few hundo over OEM. I've upgraded my last diesel truck to Hawk Talon quiet slot rotors with EBC Green Stuff pads and been very happy, but this 6.2 L Raptor may need more braking power than my diesel, since it's faster and it doesn't have a grade braking Allison trans behind it.

Next best would be a fair priced caliper upgrade like the Wilwood 6 piston or SSBC's 8 piston. I don't know about Wilwood, but SSBC's are made in USA, look sweet, but do they work? Alrighty then, can y'all chime in with your experiences, pros, cons, and brake power feel improvements? Are 'big brake' upgrades that fit behind the stock 17" wheels even worth the price? Is it better to go up to a larger wheel and bigger brakes? TIA...

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep,the Brembo and Alcon are super pricey...BUT...Economy and Brakes should never be used in same sentence...If brakes fail,not going to be pretty..IMHO
Well I didn't mean bailing wire and duct tape Rico, just a happy medium between gold bullion and Wal Mart ;). Bigger bang for the buck! Brakes are simple; I do my own work, so shop labor is cheap but not easy...

If I'd never heard of Brembo or Alcon, I'd swear $1,800 was a LOT to pay for a front brake upgrade, so 'economy' is relative, but if someone had INCREDIBLE results and stopped on a dime, I'd pay that much for the improvement.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Food for thought: If you have better brakes than the person behind you, it can be disasterous. There is nothing wrong with OEM brakes if well maintained. The old saying, be careful what you wish for can be applied here.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly, it's hard to beat the Wilwood BBK when it comes to bang for the buck. We've put them on Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 trucks all with significant improvements over stock. And this is coming from someone who had front and rear Alcons on my Gen 2.

The Wilwood kit is also a little cheaper than you mentioned at $1595.

We have them in stock and ready to ship for the Gen 1 in red and black caliper options along with drilled and slotted and slotted only rotor options. The only option not in stock is black calipers with slotted only rotors. All others are ready to ship.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out and I'll be happy to answer them.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Economy and upgrade really don't go together either! Stick with OEM if you want to save some coin otherwise open the wallet and get the true upgrade brake kit, check with Rick at Freedom Motorsports!
I get where you're coming from, and I don't do anything cheap myself. I'm talkin' about $2,000 vs $5,000, or a JY Brembo retrofit?

Realistically, this below is more likely. Has anyone tried these SSBC's? 8 piston calipers, link below. I think Freedom Motorsports is in IL? I'm on the left stinkin' coast...

SSBC 8 Piston_Caliper1.JPG

SSBC 8 Piston_Caliper kit.JPG

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it's hard to beat the Wilwood BBK when it comes to bang for the buck. We've put them on Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 trucks all with significant improvements over stock. And this is coming from someone who had front and rear Alcons on my Gen 2.

The Wilwood kit is also a little cheaper than you mentioned at $1595.

We have them in stock and ready to ship for the Gen 1 in red and black caliper options along with drilled and slotted and slotted only rotor options. The only option not in stock is black calipers with slotted only rotors. All others are ready to ship.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out and I'll be happy to answer them.
Hey Nick, thanks for your imput. So you're sayin' for the money, these Wilwoods rival the Alcon kits?

Is there anything else needed or advised to install this, i.e. stainless brake lines? It looks like the SSBC kit does not include the rotors in the picture, but I could be wrong....

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't mean bailing wire and duct tape Rico, just a happy medium between gold bullion and Wal Mart ;). Bigger bang for the buck! Brakes are simple; I do my own work, so shop labor is cheap but not easy...

If I'd never heard of Brembo or Alcon, I'd swear $1,800 was a LOT to pay for a front brake upgrade, so 'economy' is relative, but if someone had INCREDIBLE results and stopped on a dime, I'd pay that much for the improvement.
Was just messing with ya..and dont knock bailing wire and duct tape..have fixed a few things with both over the years in my 63 Vette and Boat...my friends call me McGuyer after drive belt went out in boat mile from shore..grabbed roll of duct tape climbed down to engine as they were rolling on the deck laughing and 10 minutes later we were on way to land...VERY SLOWLY...

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Nick, thanks for your imput. So you're sayin' for the money, these Wilwoods rival the Alcon kits?

Is there anything else needed or advised to install this, i.e. stainless brake lines? It looks like the SSBC kit does not include the rotors in the picture, but I could be wrong....
It's not quite the same as Alcon, but I'd say it's an 80% improvement for about 1/3 of the price. The Wilwood kit includes everything needed for installation, including SS braided front brake lines.