Was It Worth It? Gen 2 (2017-2019)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waaptuh

Reaction score
Loved my 20 before I sold it but I had no issues with it while I had it. Sold when it had just under 75k miles

grendel

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '17 Raptor was an awesome vehicle. Took it all though Baja for several months of camping/travelling. Worked flawlessly. It's also been a go-to vehicle I use for search and rescue in the mountains of colorado. Yes...it's totally worth it. If you haven't bought one yet, get it checked out by a pro and you won't regret the purchase.

sjenn1122

Reaction score
I've had a 2018 for about 35k miles now; currently at 88k. My phasers failed almost immediately after buying, but it was replaced under extended warranty. Also had a failed passenger-side hub/bearing; also warranty.

I've replaced all the shocks with new ones from RockAuto because it was about the same price to get them rebuilt. Planning on having my old rear shocks rebuilt with softer valving to smooth the ride out because the ride is beginning to wear me out. I actually took one of the sway bar links out this morning because it DRAMATICALLY improves the ride quality in the front. I don't know what Ford was thinking using a sway bar this big; its unnecessary. I left one link in to keep the sway bar from banging around. I'll probably remove the other one and zip tie the bar in place to keep the bushings from wearing out. I also used FORscan to alter the TPMS warning from 30psi to 25psi so I can run about 29-31psi all the time; again trying to address the ride. I also keep about 150 pounds of stuff in the bed at all times because that seems to help a little.

Also, the transmission is jacked. It's a long story, but the dealer acknowledged that there was something very wrong with it but the extended warranty people said they wouldn't cover it because there's no code being thrown by the TCM. Ford tech advised that I "drive the hell out of it" until it fails... which is beginning to feel like any day now. When the transmission is cold, it straight-up won't shift from 4th to 5th/6th and it'll just limp for a second until it can find a gear. When the transmission is up to temp, it generally shifts hard in and out of any of the first 6 gears, but the shift from 4th to 5th/6th is exceptionally violent. Occasionally it will chirp the rear tires when downshifting into 4th on the highway... and not the fun/cool kind of acceleration chirp... it's the scary/pucker lockup kind of chirp. Also feels like a clutch is slipping/pulsing during hard acceleration sometimes... I absolutely hate the transmission, but I kind of wonder if I've never experienced a good one.

Overall, I really like the truck, it just doesn't have the ride I expected. The suspension is amazing if you're REALLY hard on it, but under normal, crappy road conditions, it's a rough ride... especially if the transmission is having a constant existential crisis. I had a 2013 platinum 5.0 before with some Bilstein 5100s and 34" tires. Loved it and never had an issues. Should have kept it.

But the 3.5 HO has good power... and it looks cool. Holds its value better than a platinum, I think.? Stereo is good... I'm trying to be positive, but kind of struggling.