VHF Radio and Antenna Routing Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grendel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a VHF radio running a 1/4 wave antenna on my Gen 3. Currently, it's hooked up to the rear door and routed inside via the window. It works acceptably, but I'd like to run it on top of of the cap I have over my bed. This would have me run the connection inside my bed cap, out through the front of the bed and into the main cabin. Has anyone done this before and provide advice? I'm worried about water ingress, chafing of the antenna wire, etc. I live in the mountains of Colorado and routinely experience very cold temps, water crossings, snow, etc. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not get an antenna mount for your 3rd brake light? And then run the wiring through the 3rd brake light into the cabin?

OP
OP
grendel

grendel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get an antenna mount for your 3rd brake light? And then run the wiring through the 3rd brake light into the cabin?
That's a great idea. I looked at that possibility. I often run a rack that sticks out back behind the rear of the cab and slightly over the bed cap. I'd have to route the antenna though that and avoid putting any gear over it. It's a possibility. And might have to revisit it.

mobob

Reaction score
I had similar radio need while confronting the issue of a low garage and the occasional parking garages I needed to use. Both would not allow the use of a NMO or 3rd Brake light mount in the ideal reception place. I came up with this solution for my 1/4 wave antenna's on my Gen1 and moved it to my Gen3. It still provides very good coverage without needing to take them off all the time. They clear the roof by about an inch for reference.

I used a 60in piece of 8020 15/30 extrusion secured to the bed cover with 6-8 t-slot anchors, some rubber washers and associated screws. I mounted two reverse lights on a pair of 8020 90 degree brackets and two antennae on some steel shipping angle brackets I modified/painted for the magnetic mount antennae. I ran the cables through the unused grooves in the extrusion to hide them, then down between the Bed and the cab and entered the cab through the vent behind the rear passenger seat. No cables in the bed to be crushed and very clean outside.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Confluence.jpg
    Confluence.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
grendel

grendel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar radio need while confronting the issue of a low garage and the occasional parking garages I needed to use. Both would not allow the use of a NMO or 3rd Brake light mount in the ideal reception place. I came up with this solution for my 1/4 wave antenna's on my Gen1 and moved it to my Gen3. It still provides very good coverage without needing to take them off all the time. They clear the roof by about an inch for reference.

I used a 60in piece of 8020 15/30 extrusion secured to the bed cover with 6-8 t-slot anchors, some rubber washers and associated screws. I mounted two reverse lights on a pair of 8020 90 degree brackets and two antennae on some steel shipping angle brackets I modified/painted for the magnetic mount antennae. I ran the cables through the unused grooves in the extrusion to hide them, then down between the Bed and the cab and entered the cab through the vent behind the rear passenger seat. No cables in the bed to be crushed and very clean outside.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! That's a pretty slick mount. I appreciate the details!