Behind the grill lighting - BD ONX6+ vs DD Pro - SPV - OPINIONS Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
Although I absolutely love the SPV 40" BD S8 light bar kit mounted right above the bumper, I've decided its safer (theft wise) to go with a behind the grill kit. Especially in SoCal. (hope I'm not missing out on a ton of useable light doing this) https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...h-bumper-light-bar-kit?variant=43832483512552

I'm looking for usable light output both cornering and spot for mid to high speed. These seem to be the best two options, which would you choose and why?
A couple considerations:
-I don't plan on adding more forward facing light after this upgrade. (for a while atleast)
-I'm trying to keep a clean look that's hard to steal.
-This is for casual baja runs, local(ish) day runs that go longer than expected and **** of dodge scenarios that you werent expecting.

Diode Dynamics SS3 Behind the Grille 6 Pod Light Kit.
Would likely get Spot, SAE Driving, Amber Fog (would try to get the SAE driving in Amber as well if possible and keep those wired with the fogs. Wire the spots separately.)

OR

SPV Customizable - Baja Designs OnX6+ 10 Inch Dual Behind Grille Light Kit

Would get Driving Combo Amber

Thoughts? Anyone seen both? Anyone seen the 40" light bar vs either of these options? Whats the output difference look like?

kirkb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the BD behind grille kit from SPV on mine, looks basically the same as the DD one you linked to above, just different lights.

I opted for the separate lights vs a bar, just to give me more flexibility in where they are aimed to get the best spread/performance for my needs. I am sure there is some light loss due to being behind the grill, but the DB Squadron Pros are pretty darn bright and I have not yet needed anything more.

BTW, The SPV kit was really nice and super easy to install and get wired up.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Baja designs behind the grille kit with 6 squadrons. I would not put SAE in there. With them being mounted that high i would not recommend using them on the street so there is no need to waste money on a light that performs less. I run the spot, and 2 sets of the driving combo.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check out our Behind the Grill Kits here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/shop-all/kr-off-road-behind-the-grill-kit/

Our stainless steel/USA made brackets fit all F150s from 2015+ including the new Raptor R.

You can do 2x 10" S8 Bars, 2x 10" OnX6+ Bars or even 6x Squadron lights. Heck you can even do 6x XL lights if you really want to like some of our customers.

I prefer to have 6x Baja Designs lights back there, as you get a lot more control. You can do a variety of patterns and each pair is on it's own switch with our included harness. Or you can do 4 lights on 1 switch and 2 lights on another. Or all 6 on a switch if you really wanted to. It's up to you.

Check out what @CRchs1 just did with his Raptor R. He put 6x XL80s behind his Raptor R with our brackets (message me for a custom quote on that setup)

1722884984757.png

Slaptor911

Reaction score
Love the BD Onyx behind the grill. Work great during the day too as dust lights.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2486.jpeg
    IMG_2486.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 27