GEN 2 Truck Order Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks much for this info..I feel better about not ordering it. I can't think of a time when I ever remove my trailer hitch from my current truck, and use that to step on if I really need to.

I like that my current truck (04 ram w cummins) has linex with the uv guard and that it goes up over the bed and tailgate rails...but it sounds like that's out the window anyway with the plastic rails, so I suppose short of the factory spray in bedliner fading terribly in the Florida sun, I'm pretty happy I went that route rather than having to lose a day or two dealing with dropping my truck off to get linex, no loaner car, etc etc. Thin is fine. I've found if you get in an accident and have thinner bedliner, when a new panel is installed, an entire fresh coat (so the fade is the same) can be sprayed over the existing bedliner and new part. I had a problem when I got hit because my original linex was too thick. Luckily, (or not) another idiot came and hit me and the entire bed was replace and new linex sprayed in. I will say - the places linex didn't spray over the bolts all rusted - so if ford sprays over some bolts I won't complain. I guess my only worry with the factory bedliner is fading..we will see! I'm not gonna sweat it :)

I have had the tailgate step on a F250 and my 14' Raptor and I hated it. If you need help getting in the truck its great but other than that its useless. The spray in bedliner only overs the floor and the insides of the bed rail. The trucks all have plastic bed caps now and the handle area of the tailgate step is raised and covered in a thick plastic. If you don't absolutely need it don't waste the money. Just my opinion. I did use it once or twice when I was carrying stuff and it was nice to just be able to step on the step and then step in the bed when your arms are full. The factory bedliner is very nice too. They do a fantastic job taping the truck off and the tape lines are very clean. I would say its a bit thinner than a well sprayed Line-X job though. I compared the factory Ford liner to a Line-X I had done on one of my other trucks and the factory bedliner looked better in my opinion but I just don't think they will be as durable. There is a pretty noticeable difference in thickness.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

You make a good point although fortunately for my wallet I will not be lifting this truck further as it barely, but does...fit in my garage. Knock on wood I'll wait 5-10 more years before I start ordering parts like running boards and steps. Or maybe sooner, since I didn't order one, and my knees and back will be getting worked! ;)

Tailgate step, IMO, is a great option. When you use the handle, it really saves the knees and back from climbing in and out. Especially when you start modding the truck and get it higher than stock. Mines probably 2 -3" above stock, and thank God I've got the tailgate step!

I've never seen the factory bedliner, but if it is a spray in and looks halfway durable, then get it. It's not like we're hauling scrap metal around in the bed of these things. Hell, I don't have anything other than the factory paint in mine, and it's still fine.....

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks much for this info..I feel better about not ordering it. I can't think of a time when I ever remove my trailer hitch from my current truck, and use that to step on if I really need to.

I like that my current truck (04 ram w cummins) has linex with the uv guard and that it goes up over the bed and tailgate rails...but it sounds like that's out the window anyway with the plastic rails, so I suppose short of the factory spray in bedliner fading terribly in the Florida sun, I'm pretty happy I went that route rather than having to lose a day or two dealing with dropping my truck off to get linex, no loaner car, etc etc. Thin is fine. I've found if you get in an accident and have thinner bedliner, when a new panel is installed, an entire fresh coat (so the fade is the same) can be sprayed over the existing bedliner and new part. I had a problem when I got hit because my original linex was too thick. Luckily, (or not) another idiot came and hit me and the entire bed was replace and new linex sprayed in. I will say - the places linex didn't spray over the bolts all rusted - so if ford sprays over some bolts I won't complain. I guess my only worry with the factory bedliner is fading..we will see! I'm not gonna sweat it :)

I have a Line-X sprayed in my 14' Chevy 1500 that was sprayed in September of 13' and it still looks great. I didn't get the UV protection and it still looks great and hasn't faded much. It has just kind of lost that glossy look they have when its new. I had no complaints with my factory spray in liner in my 14' Raptor either but the stuff is definitely thin. If you're dropping heavy stuff in the bed I would imagine you would get some dents. The convenience and how well they tape the truck off were the deciding factors for me! The tailgate step is seriously great if you need help getting in and out of the truck but its just a waste of money in my opinion. Plus I like having the surface of the tailgate more or less flat and in both my old Super Duty and Raptor it was anything but flat.

The only picture I have of my tailgate on my old truck.

D520C79E-546A-4C31-A8D7-90F911BA84B1_zpsu8qdftkz.jpg

Last edited:

Dewserb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. To date, I still haven't received a DORA from my dealer for the order I placed on 7/25. Attached is what the regional manager from Ford had to say with regard to my order and why I haven't received the DORA.

What's most interesting is that I just spoke with Ford corporate, and I was told that my order is "in order processing" (so obviously, the order has been received by Ford) and that the anticipated delivery date is between 10/3 and 10/9! Can it be??? It can't be.... Right?

Attachments

• 20160817_182400.jpg
    20160817_182400.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 57

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dewserb, from what I am gathering, giving customers a DORA is not standard practice..it's probably moreso something that forum guys found out about and are suddenly all demanding is my suspicion..but I could be wrong. My dealer told me about a month after the order is entered they get a vin and a build date..so you're coming right up on that mark..perhaps your dealer will inform you shortly with some good news!

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dewserb, from what I am gathering, giving customers a DORA is not standard practice..it's probably moreso something that forum guys found out about and are suddenly all demanding is my suspicion..but I could be wrong. My dealer told me about a month after the order is entered they get a vin and a build date..so you're coming right up on that mark..perhaps your dealer will inform you shortly with some good news!

My dealer said that DORA was old news and he does not used them. He says that his on line order was what he used to see when Ford accepts the order.

Dewserb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local guy said the most recent screen shot of a DORA I sent him was from the old "Conceps" ordering system, and that the system they're using now go through the same processes with regard to DORAs, etc. He said my order number IS my DORA, and to his credit, all I've had to do is give Ford that order number, and it pops right up for them.