Transmission updates - aftermarket pan and dipstick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doktor

Reaction score
Yeah, no. The thermostat just ensures the fluid gets up to a minimum temp exactly like the engine coolant. The only issue that may be helped by removing the thermostat is if you’re actually racing in the Baja 1000 and running 1” diameter coolant lines it could be a restriction.
You would be wrong. Reducing the temps of the transmission extends its life greatly. The factory thermostat wants to keep the transmission at 200 degrees. With a proper bypass installed, the new temps are approx. 165 degrees under the same circumstances. As a former transmission tech, reducing the temps only 30 degrees doubles tranny life. I'm seeing a 35-degree drop on two different F-150s.

doktor

Reaction score
Yeah, I can easily see why you believe what you’re saying, but unfortunately you're wrong. The fluid is being worked harder and stays hotter because there’s literally too much of it, 100% defeating your intended purpose for the deeper pan in the first place. Such negatives are way more common than you would think in an enthusiast community, but its not. Don't feel unique or alone in your situation.
Too much fluid makes it run hotter because there is too much of it? Wrong as wrong can be. Every racing team, if faced with high temps of any fluid usually raises capacity and increases the cooling capacity. The manufacturers do the same thing.

doktor

Reaction score
I switched to this pan. My temp used to be 206 on a regular day they are 210 on a regular day. so a 4 deg increase.
The temp were monitored over a month.on the same drive in traffic same route. so @TwizzleStix is correct more fluid dose not mean lower temp. but it does mean more fluid. In my mind that is a good thing. I will still keep the change interval at 60k. The fluid should keep more of its properties since there is more of it. NOW I could be wrong. BUT that is the way my mind sees it.
I am going to do a better cooler mine is behind the supercharger cooler I think it doesn't see enough air flow.
It doesn't appear that you have changed the factory thermostat. You could install a cooler as big as your house and the temps still wouldn't drop with the factory unit still installed.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Too much fluid makes it run hotter because there is too much of it? Wrong as wrong can be. Every racing team, if faced with high temps of any fluid usually raises capacity and increases the cooling capacity. The manufacturers do the same thing.
You missed the point and don’t understand the trade-offs applicable to a “race” application vs street. It’s more than a snippet of a sentence to explain, so I’ll not go into it. You can enjoy your ignorance and bless your heart.

Last edited:

doktor

Reaction score
You missed the point and don’t understand the trade-offs applicable to a “race” application vs street. It’s more than a snippet of a sentence to explain, so I’ll not go into it. You can enjoy your ignorance and bless your heart.
I was trying to be polite but, that was lost on you. It appears you've given yourself the title of expert. Overfilling could cause an overheating of the fluid since the fluid could come in contact with spinning parts, get airated and cause a fluid temp rise. Adding more capacity and adding the correct amount of additional fluid will never cause a temperature rise. The Trans or engine or cooling system has no idea how much extra capacity it has, it pulls from its source.

So far, almost 100% of your posts that I've read are inaccurate or just flat-out wrong. Good luck to you.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, no. The thermostat just ensures the fluid gets up to a minimum temp exactly like the engine coolant. The only issue that may be helped by removing the thermostat is if you’re actually racing in the Baja 1000 and running 1” diameter coolant lines it could be a restriction.
To each there own, and I have heard that a 100 times. But I have been doing this for 35 years and have seen 1000's of transmissions torn down and I have yet to see one that was damaged due to the fluid running to cool.

Pretty much everyone was cooked/overheated.

I ain't quite to the point of removing the thermostat but I question it on a 110 degree day for sure.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leaning more towards the aFe pan at this point since it holds 7 quarts over stock, which is the most out of any aftermarket pan out there.

That pan will not fit with the stock skid plate and probably not with aftermarket skid plates. That pan is made for a truck that doesn't do any off roading.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was trying to be polite but, that was lost on you. It appears you've given yourself the title of expert. Overfilling could cause an overheating of the fluid since the fluid could come in contact with spinning parts, get airated and cause a fluid temp rise. Adding more capacity and adding the correct amount of additional fluid will never cause a temperature rise. The Trans or engine or cooling system has no idea how much extra capacity it has, it pulls from its source.

So far, almost 100% of your posts that I've read are inaccurate or just flat-out wrong. Good luck to you.
That isn't entirely true. Watch the video series from Banks on the rear diff covers. (I understand it is diff cover not trans, just that more fluid can run hotter given how it is moved about)

Not saying you are totally wrong, just that maybe there is a gray area in the middle.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
To each there own, and I have heard that a 100 times. But I have been doing this for 35 years and have seen 1000's of transmissions torn down and I have yet to see one that was damaged due to the fluid running to cool.

Pretty much everyone was cooked/overheated.

I ain't quite to the point of removing the thermostat but I question it on a 110 degree day for sure.
I don’t think I said it would be damaged by running cooler than optimum for the fluid functionality, but it will indeed cost power when running cooler than ~185-190F. Same as with your engine oil. The engine will make more power with the oil running ~200-220F than it will at 180F. It’s simple physics (fluid dynamics) proven countless times on the dyno and on the race track. For street engine/trans the average idiot will never know the difference and do stupid sh*t because of the idiots who post stupid sh*t on forums who have no actual proven background/experience. Yeah, this has become too redundant so…,