Trailer battery not charging error, help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched this site and the F150Gen14 site. Over there, there have been several discussions on this, but I can not find my solution.

When I plug in the 7 pin to my truck, and start my truck, I get a trailer battery not charging error on the screen. The trailer has brakes and this is the emergency brake battery.
My trailer battery is good... 12.98 volts.
I can see 12.98 volts at the 7 pin on the trailer.

Not sure this is related, but also, my trailer interior lights (this is an enclosed trailer) will not come on. However, If I start the truck and unplug a replug in the 7 pin, they work. I checked the battery both ways as well... before and after I unplugged and replugged the 7 pin to get the interior lights to come on. No charging either way.
I tried all the other Gen14 recommendations... start the truck, close the doors, leave keys in the cab, put in drive or reverse and the trailer lights will not come on unless in unplug and replug the 7 pin. Pulling my hair out!

The external light work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

hammer_68

Reaction score
I've also just noticed my '18 Raptor is not charging my trailer battery. My '14 F-150 did just fine so I can't figure out why a newer truck that recognizes the trailer won't purposely charge the battery

OP
OP
Syberspace

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F150 forum suggested checking the grounding on the trailer... going to do that the next chance I get and will update.

hammer_68

Reaction score
The F150 forum suggested checking the grounding on the trailer... going to do that the next chance I get and will update.
If it wasn't grounded the lights wouldn't work. Everything else on mine works, just can't figure out why the Raptor isn't charging the battery. Maybe the 7-Pin connector has a bad connector/wire?

OP
OP
Syberspace

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't grounded the lights wouldn't work. Everything else on mine works, just can't figure out why the Raptor isn't charging the battery. Maybe the 7-Pin connector has a bad connector/wire?
Good point... But why when I unplug and replug the interior lights will work... every time. Just no charging of the battery. Plus, I can see the 12 volts on the trailer side on the trailer plug. I am going to look at the wiring this weekend. The trailer is at my cabin.

hammer_68

Reaction score
Good point... But why when I unplug and replug the interior lights will work... every time. Just no charging of the battery. Plus, I can see the 12 volts on the trailer side on the trailer plug. I am going to look at the wiring this weekend. The trailer is at my cabin.
any updates?