Torque Converter Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JrockM5

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2013 6.2l Raptor and I’ve been having an intermittent issue with the truck lurching then stalling when I put it in gear and foot on the brake. Just like a standard shift vehicle would if you let the clutch out with your foot on the brake. It’s worth noting it only happens upon startup and when it hangs up like that I can usually keep restarting the truck until it clears up, but yesterday it never would clear up. I haven’t been able to find any thread talking about this and I’ve read torque converters usually don’t go out? Does anyone have any knowledge on what else could cause this symptom other than a TC with worn out clutches?

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since it's your first post, it is customary to introduce yourself and post a picture of your raptor. Otherwise we are left to believe you own a Prius.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the check engine light on?
Do you have an OBDII scanner to find error codes?
When was the last time you cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor?
Clean or change air filter.
Clean the throttle body blade.
Check for corrosion at the electrical connections at the TB and all three PCM connections.
You should check for vacuum leaks. Or have a smoke test done.
If the throttle body is hunting it will act like that, so doing the above should help.
Finally, it's always a good idea to wait till the rpms are at least below 900 before shifting into gear.

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Step #1 check fluid level in transmission

Step #2 have the transmission serviced, either fluid and filter or flush

Personally I would take it to the local ford dealer and ask them to check the fluid level and schedule the transmission service then go from there.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While checking the tranny fluid is a good idea,
I didn't mention tranny fluid because I'm pretty certain it's the items I mentioned in my earlier post.
If the fluid was low, it would have a delay going into gear and not shifting correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JrockM5

JrockM5

Reaction score
No check engine light on while this happened the other day.
I’ve cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body.
Air filter is brand new.
I didn’t know a vacuum leak could cause that symptom though. I have been having trouble with my canister purge valve. Put one on and it immediately went bad and threw the code so I put another on and now when I fill all the way up with fuel it’ll throw a code and go away after a bit and when it gets all the way low it’ll throw a code so something isn’t quite right. I haven’t checked trans fluid yet but I intend to. Once the truck gets going it shifts like butter. I thank you all for the help

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if you do but a good practice is to not have the engine running while filling up.
And not topping off by clicking more with the gas pump.

A vacuum leak can do all kinds of funky things, that's for sure.
Same with a weak battery.
Fuse #27 relocation kit was done is another item to check.

A nothing thing you can try is cleaning the fuel inlet flap by using fuel treatment/injector cleaner and using the little white funnel under the rear drives side seat and inserting it a few dozen times.

OP
OP
JrockM5

JrockM5

Reaction score
I’ll do that this is probably a dumb question but if the TC solenoid is failing it would def throw a code right?