Any time is Camburg time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Backinblack

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lca's are an easy one man install. Just put it on a floor jack, lift into position and bolt up.
If there's no secondary mount on those, I'd recommend getting them and weld them on now.
Kind of crazy to pay a bunch of money for new lca's, just to deal with constant heim joint maintenance/replacement and not have any performance improvement.

I don't have any plans for a dual shock set up. I see what you mean by adding the secondary mount for the future.
Are you saying that Camburg LCA's wear faster and require more maintenance than the OEM arms?
Thanks for your input.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

The limit straps are to save you shocks when you go to gull droop. Normally the full momentum of the unsprung weight of the corner (Lca, uca, knuckle, brake, wheel, tire, etc) will be stopped by the droop bump region of the shock, however this can damage the shock internals as the bump stops wear, adding limit straps allows to to transfer the force required to stop the downward travel to the frame which is much stronger than the internal bump stop on the shock. With the weight of the camburgs you really want to running them to save your shocks.

Thanks for the excellent description. I'll pm you about the straps thanks.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that Camburg LCA's wear faster and require more maintenance than the OEM arms?

Well, without pulling any punches, yes.
With open heim joints you are trading longevity for durability.
They're strong compared to a ball joint, but definitely wear out faster, and require constant maintenance.
Without maintenance, they wear very quickly.
That's acceptable for a performance setup, but you've got all the maintenance, without the secondary external bypass shocks performance.

Last edited:

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely joe, not anything to do with camburg specifically.
I am just trying to paint the picture that aftermarket lower control arms are pretty much a downgrade to the stock parts, if the aftermarket lca does not facilitate the attachment of an external bypass shock.
They are heavier, have less durable joints, and are expensive. Strength gains are a moot point, nobody breaks lower control arms. An aftermarket lca is more a means to an end, certainly not the end itself.

OP
OP
Backinblack

Backinblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely joe, not anything to do with camburg specifically.
I am just trying to paint the picture that aftermarket lower control arms are pretty much a downgrade to the stock parts, if the aftermarket lca does not facilitate the attachment of an external bypass shock.
They are heavier, have less durable joints, and are expensive. Strength gains are a moot point, nobody breaks lower control arms. An aftermarket lca is more a means to an end, certainly not the end itself.

Well you are after all the suspension guru. I guess I'll be getting secondary by-pass shocks in the future. Maybe in the Fall.
Just need to buy the tabs and get them welded on. Since I don't have them yet, can they be welded on without removing the LCA?

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I don't have them yet, can they be welded on without removing the LCA?

A good welder can do an okay job with them on, but a mediocre welder can do a great job with them off...
You'll like the secondaries, the quality of damping an external bypass provides is a huge upgrade over the typical 3.0 coilover.
As a side note, to recoup cost on the secondaries, it is possible to sell the 3.0 coilover and run the stock coilover in its place. It will perform just as well, as the bulk of the damping duties are handled by the external bypass secondary. The stock coilover valving is pretty close to what most dual setups run for damping in the primary 3.0 coilover.

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, without pulling any punches, yes.
With open heim joints you are trading longevity for durability.
They're strong compared to a ball joint, but definitely wear out faster, and require constant maintenance.
Without maintenance, they wear very quickly.
That's acceptable for a performance setup, but you've got all the maintenance, without the secondary external bypass shocks performance.
I'm swapping out my ivd coil and secondaries, and LCAs out of season to my fox with eibachs+3 in Michigan, not salt so over them for no reason.. I see only tone to have all that is in the dunes, why run all the time