Top Speed on Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The problem is not the tire "blowing up". The problem is not needing a perfect stretch of road. The problem is that the tires become unstable. At about 120 my Gen 1 with 2024 KO2 take-offs started to shake and wobble. I took it to my tire guy and had them check the balance, it was good. He explained to me that these big tires are not built perfect, evident by the balancing process, and that they can literally start to go out of round at high RPMs. You might get lucky and have a better than average set of tires, or maybe over inflating them will help? They have a speed rating for a reason, and if they were safe at higher speeds, the rating would be higher. The trucks handle well at 113 and don't require any special road to go that fast.
I see that you don't know how much you don’t know. I do, so carry on…

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its "safe" to say that 120 is kinda the soft limit regardless of the version. My impression was it had a lot to do with tire heat and sustained speed. I doubt even a pilot sport cup 2R is built perfect either, otherwise you wouldn't still need balancing.