The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, considering I'm from Texas ... any suggestions on how to prepare myself for actual winter weather. Clothing / footwear suggestions etc would be great.

Banned
Reaction score
So, considering I'm from Texas ... any suggestions on how to prepare myself for actual winter weather. Clothing / footwear suggestions etc would be great.

Boots with goretex would be the one thing I'd say is a must.

And to prepare yourself, go somewhere with a walk in freezer, strip down and sit in there for a while hahaha. Will get your body used to the cold.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheap, but priceless item: $20 yellow shooting glasses. It makes a huge difference with vision since you are surrounded in pure white.

Clothes: the key to winter (Snoball) clothes is Layers. Your still gonna be in your rig the majority of the time. You dont want some huge gortex outfit like the little kid in Christmas Story. Buy a good Wool Union suit and dress in a few layers so you can peel a layer off when in your warm truck. The right boots are also key, but dont buy some giant snow galoshes, you still need to be on the gas/brake pedal constantly and you dont want to be fumbling around down there when instant reaction matters. Wear lighter boots for driving, but have a more heavy duty boot in your truck for those instances when you actually need to go into deep snow.

Plenty more tips for the asking. :head3:

Last edited:

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Battery powered heated socks were priceless when I use to work outside on Hoth (Star Wars reference). Actually it's best to wear an intermediate pair between them and your feet, because they get outrageously hot. Might bring mine lol.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't driven in deep snow, but I have done a lot of snow skiing. Amber lenses are good; the orangish persimmon is my preference for snow.

I wear mine in the truck during hard rains too, and it always helps visibility.

Banned
Reaction score
Yes yellow/amber glasses will be awesome for those overcast snowy days where you can't tell the ground from the sky.

For sunny days, I like to use my polarized lens. Cloudy days either blue or yellow. Night, clear.

I have 4 sets of goggles (snowmobiling) for every condition. Makes a big difference.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
boots are un necessary, i did this year in flops.

I will recommend a good pair of gloves, hat, and extra pants. and make sure you make some TP and an extra pair of pants and shorts, incase your shit yourself.

always have to be prepared.