Swaybar Disconnects - Ford Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gee. Thanks for the respect guys. :shakehead:

All recent off topic noise has been deleted. Leave this thread on topic, or leave this thread. Thanks.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got a response from Ben Brazda, the gentleman responsible for creating and compiling all the info on LiftLaws.com. Not too surprising...

Ben Brazda said:
Hi Jason,

You are very welcome, glad you like the site!

Front sway bars are designed to improve on-road stability so I recommend keeping it in place or replacing it with on the can be disconnected for off-roading.

I highly doubt you would ever get pulled over or ticketed for it specifically, but if you’re being a jerk, a cop could easily ticket you for it under the “vehicle must be safe” catch-all rule.

The risk is that if you ever get into an accident in which your vehicle rolls over (be it your fault or someone else’s) it would be very easy for the insurance company to say that you modified your vehicle in a dangerous manner and violated the terms of your agreement – thus dropping your coverage. Even worse would be if you injured someone in the accident because an attorney could easily point out the missing sway bar and you would have to prove that the removal of the sway bar did not cause your vehicle to lose control and cause the accident. The best thing to do is contact your insurance company and ask them if you can remove the sway bar, and if you can, get it from them in writing so they can’t back out.

Hope that helps.

Again, I recommend keeping it on.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ben Brazda said:
The risk is that if you ever get into an accident in which your vehicle rolls over (be it your fault or someone else’s) it would be very easy for the insurance company to say that you modified your vehicle in a dangerous manner and violated the terms of your agreement – thus dropping your coverage. Even worse would be if you injured someone in the accident because an attorney could easily point out the missing sway bar and you would have to prove that the removal of the sway bar did not cause your vehicle to lose control and cause the accident. The best thing to do is contact your insurance company and ask them if you can remove the sway bar, and if you can, get it from them in writing so they can’t back out.

After pages and 160+ posts we get a statement that I (and others) started with.

This IS the concern anyone should have even if it's ignored.

(Thanks again to Jason and Mark and others who have contributed to this thread). PS: Jason, why not delete the posts entirely so this thread is clean?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark, be fair. It is NOT fear to point an on-the-books 'code' and say "hey look at that; what you did violates code." Bottom line, that is not fear. Just as pointing at a speed limit sign, reading it and saying "hey look at that; the speed limit is 55mph here" is not fear. If you continue to describe it as fear, you have completely missed my point and I would ask that you reread this entire discussion in efforts to understand what I'm saying. I don't know how to be more clear; you are wrong and you have missed my point entirely if 'fear' continues to be your linchpin.

Fear, my friend, is sticking your head in the sand, pretending the code doesn't exist, that its your right to do what you please and pretending all will be ok... that is fear.

Speaking of which... Ya know, there's been something that's nagged me about your argument since the first. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there's something... and then Kaiser got me thinking about the constitutionality of these codes and it hits me. I think there's a fundamental flaw in your argument Mark, and it is this: your philosophical approach hinges on the assertion that 'driving is a right'. You seem to feel that we should do what we wish, and not fear 'the man' because we are exercising our rights. That, if we don't do these things, we are sacrificing our rights...

Driving is NOT a right, as defined by and within our national and state constitutions. Driving on public roads is a privilege to be earned and maintained. You have no right, in the sense you invoke the word, to be on the roads. You must earn the privilege to be there.

What's the difference? You have every right in the world to mod your truck. Do it! Remove whatever you want, add whatever you want. That is your right to modify your property. But when it comes to the privaledge of driving on roads we all pay for, nuhhuh. Obey the codes. The codes created by those we've chosen to best represent our mutual interests when it comes to safety and organization. Don't want to follow the codes? No problem! Exercise your right to NOT do so... but then also don't be surprised if/when the privilege of driving that modified rig on public roads is taken away, and/or when you're made to pay because you exercised your freedom by not following the code.

See the difference? Its a key thing that cuts at the heart of why I think you're wrong.

WHOA. My words are getting twisted around.

To be crystal clear... I agree with all that has been said about code and law violations if they apply to you and where you live. Those are things that I don't ignore nor have I recommended anyone ignore.

I also agree with the "privilege and not a right" statements.

But let me remind everyone that what started this was a statement on another thread was not about code violations... or law violations... the statement was about "insurance issues" and "losing your warranty" if you removed your sway bar. Statements that instill real fear (or should).

These fear-inducing statements are not the same as pointing out factual "legalities" of a mod. Where are the facts and statistics that prove you have a substantial chance of being left uninsured? And the fear presented is not minor like "getting a ticket"... claims have been made that a mod could threaten your livelihood and ruin your life!

Yet even though MILLIONS of vehicles have suspension mods, no substantial and verifiable proof of someone actually finding themselves uninsured has been presented in this thread. I agree it is a possibility. What I don't agree with, after a lot of research, after reading all of the posts here, and after speaking to my insurance agent, is that it is a significant risk.

Statements have been made that an "expert" might find something you did "unsafe" or heaven forbid, illegal. It was stated that if that happened, you're screwed. No insurance. Your life as you know it is over. It will be a catastrophic event you may never recover from. (that's some serious ****!)

My logic dictates that if an insurance company could leave you uninsured for an "unsafe act" or "code violation" or "breaking the law", then the insurance company would leave nearly every driver who was at fault in an accident without insurance coverage! (Perhaps this is why you falsely believe I support ignoring the law or violating code?)

And I've said that you need to check your policy and with your agent... are mods prohibited by the agreement? And never commit "material misrepresentation" as that is almost a guarantee you could be cancelled.

So why am I the "bad guy"? Some of the comments directed at me are bordering on personal attacks... what happened to "debate the topic, not the poster"?? (I'm afraid I've struck a nerve.)

Because I said being denied insurance coverage for a mod is nothing more than the "boogeyman" in my book?

Twist my words. Accuse me of things I didn't say and don't believe. My opinion has not changed. Not doing a mod you are considering without any proof that you could be denied insurance coverage is the same as being afraid of the boogeyman hiding under the bed. The fear might be real, but the actual danger isn't.

And living in fear of the boogeyman is not my idea of freedom, my friend.

Nor is my idea of freedom "asking permission" from my insurance company to do something that I don't believe is unsafe, wrong, against any law or code, or in violation of my agreement with them.

I have not taken the claims made lightly. I have done my research. I have asked repeatedly for proof of the claims. And in the end I have made a concious and educated choice to not be afraid of the boogeyman. Which is not the same thing as saying I'm OK with breaking the law or that I'm sticking my head in the sand.

(If this was about "do not call" lists for cellphones instead of insurance loss for a mod, I would expect to see it on Snopes. Seriously. I'm afraid a bunch or well-meaning people have been sucked into repeating a rumor... probably based on an incident... but something that has not been shown to be a significant risk.)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. If I've offended you I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent in the slightest.

I do regret you continue to refer to the opposing arguments as fear of the boogyman fueled by misinformed good intentions, though. It is an unfair, and belittling, characterization.

But even so, you have raised valid points. It's tough to provide you the direct correlation you're looking for in terms of mods, accidents and canceled insurance; each state handles these situations differently, but my research says what is far more likely to happen is "non renewal". By law it seems generally speaking the insurance companies seem obligated to pay, and they are obligated to not "cancel" you. However they are not obligated to keep you as clients once the contract time is up. Google is chalk full of non renewal stories for various driving issues. Some states don't let you fall into a high risk category once non renewed, others do. And in the latter, you can expect to pay enormous premiums the next time around.

But I grant the point; that's not direct proof.

Ah well. At the end of the day in my opinion removal of your swaybar for on road use is unwise. But that's just one dude's opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...

:cheers:

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. If I've offended you I sincerely apologize. That was not my intent in the slightest.

I do regret you continue to refer to the opposing arguments as fear of the boogyman fueled by misinformed good intentions, though. It is an unfair, and belittling, characterization.

But even so, you have raised valid points. It's tough to provide you the direct correlation you're looking for in terms of mods, accidents and canceled insurance; each state handles these situations differently, but my research says what is far more likely to happen is "non renewal". By law it seems generally speaking the insurance companies seem obligated to pay, and they are obligated to not "cancel" you. However they are not obligated to keep you as clients once the contract time is up. Google is chalk full of non renewal stories for various driving issues. Some states don't let you fall into a high risk category once non renewed, others do. And in the latter, you can expect to pay enormous premiums the next time around.

But I grant the point; that's not direct proof.

Ah well. At the end of the day in my opinion removal of your swaybar for on road use is unwise. But that's just one dude's opinion, and we all know what opinions are like...

Not offended. Just surprised.

And I agree that non-renewal can be a possibility after any accident... as you said Google is full of cases where this has happened for driving issues. But non-renewal is not the same as cancellation. I was non-renewed once because the insurance company decided to stop insuring autos in California. It did not hurt my ability to obtain insurance from another company nor did it affect my premiums. Read more here:

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/policy-termination.html

And I certainly did not mean to "belittle" anyone by making a reference to the boogeyman.

Wikipedia said:
...Bogeyman can be used metaphorically to denote a person or thing of which someone has an irrational fear.

In my opinion, the fear of being left uninsured and left to fend for yourself after an accident is irrational... it has not been proven to be a substantial risk and therefore I choose not to be afraid or allow this fear to influence my actions.

(This does not mean other good points have not been made! :))

And like you said, everyone knows what opinions are like... :)

We all need to weigh the risks and make our own choices. But to make intelligent choices, a person needs to know the facts. And that's what I feel makes this forum different from others...

Thank you for allowing me to express my views and to challenge claims that I felt were not based in fact.

Reaction score
Figure that cancellation mid-term in a policy will never happen. I suppose it could in theory but there are a bazillion laws against it if you do it after the initial underwriting review period (the first 30-90 days of any policy). The exact time frame varies by statute by state. While the policy may be in force, the insurance company may deny coverage if there's some kind of very big problem. But they won't cancel it. I've been in situations where we have told someone "because of the bad thing you did there isn't going to be any coverage so you may as well move on yourself because otherwise you're paying for nothing." But a mid-term cancellation for reasons other than nonpayment is a legal black pit of doom.

The other routine thing that can happen is the insurance company can *try* and nonrenew you. Their ability to do so varies widely from state to state and some states are trying to legislate away a company's ability to do so. Mostly but not limited to hurricane states. Here again there are legal limits and a prior notice period that ranges from 30-75 days prior to policy expiration. All vary by state. Some states offer an appeal process and there's the real possibility that the state will direct the insurance company to renew the policy on appeal.

Dunno why you guys are agreeing that there is no example of anyone having coverage denied due to suspension mods. Unless I am misunderstanding the conversation. That guy that BigJ linked to lost. He won in the lower court but lost on appeal where it counts. The court agreed that the modifications voided the policy. However the higher court also directed the lower court to consider an entirely separate issue: Whether or not the agent's actions put the carrier on the hook despite the upheld contract language. The guy may get his money *eventually* but the deciding factor will be something that has nothing to do with the vehicle.

On a related note: Contrary to something stated here earlier, it is common for agents to be able to bind coverage without an underwriter's consent on auto insurance. Its not universal but it happens all the time. Independent agents need that ability daily.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dunno why you guys are agreeing that there is no example of anyone having coverage denied due to suspension mods. Unless I am misunderstanding the conversation. That guy that BigJ linked to lost. He won in the lower court but lost on appeal where it counts. The court agreed that the modifications voided the policy. However the higher court also directed the lower court to consider an entirely separate issue: Whether or not the agent's actions put the carrier on the hook despite the upheld contract language. The guy may get his money *eventually* but the deciding factor will be something that has nothing to do with the vehicle.
For my part, I just don't understand the legalize well enough to confidently talk on it. I am not saying examples don't exist. In fact I read several examples in just the 1/2 hour or so I looked. But what I am saying is my inability to explain from a legal perspective what my common sense is telling me stops me from even trying. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Ben Brazda said:
Front sway bars are designed to improve on-road stability so I recommend keeping it in place or replacing it with one that can be disconnected for off-roading.
Which brings us full circle to reason I originally started the thread... (note: I added the emphasis, and cleaned up what I thought he was saying). I went out this weekend and added articulation disconnects offer would have been helpful (more on that in another thread when I get pics compiled). This is why disconnects are the answer. Disconnect them for off-road, reconnect for on road. Then on-road safety is not in question. But, I DO NOT want to stir this all up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tday1103