SPD catted downpipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nookss_

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. So what would you call them?
I still live by the sn95 naming convention: headers/mid-pipe/cat-back

But it seems like technology and marketing has dictated what each piece gets called considering when the s197 came out some systems were called “axle-back”.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I still live by the sn95 naming convention: headers/mid-pipe/cat-back

But it seems like technology and marketing has dictated what each piece gets called considering when the s197 came out some systems were called “axle-back”.

I get it. But they're not headers since headers bolt to the engine. Now-a-days, something like the Borla kits that replace the resonator and muffler sections from the cats to the rear tail section and those referred to as mid-pipe kits. I would normally call these a Y-pipe, but since they don't actually connect that doesn't make sense either. I think the best name for them would be Crossover pipes from a technical standpoint.

nookss_

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it. But they're not headers since headers bolt to the engine. Now-a-days, something like the Borla kits that replace the resonator and muffler sections from the cats to the rear tail section and those referred to as mid-pipe kits. I would normally call these a Y-pipe, but since they don't actually connect that doesn't make sense either. I think the best name for them would be Crossover pipes from a technical standpoint.
I think you misinterpreted what I meant. I personally refer to each section based on my history as: headers, mid-pipe and cat-back.

But like BoostCreep said, they can call them whatever they want. It's on them to sell it.

ATXraptor75

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any beat on the street about someone building a header for the R? Perhaps the factory one isn't a problem area but haven't looked at one yet!

White fog

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I contacted Stainless Works months ago. They said they were working on it and would let me know when they were available. Nothing so far.

GEN3LV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make no difference if its a SC sitting on top the engine making boost or Turbos creating boost off the exhaust the downpipes or catted H/X pipe they do the same thing higher flowing cats are a must if your modding for more boost to much boost and you will melt the stock cats real quick. For stock setups the factory cats or more than enough even for adding a bit more boost.

Coming for the Corvette world most guys replace the headers with American Racing long tubes and high flow cats set up. That way you can boot the shit out of it and not worry about cats melting of restricting exhaust flow. My 24 R is plenty for the street if I had a Whipple on it I would be going to jail.....

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Make no difference if its a SC sitting on top the engine making boost or Turbos creating boost off the exhaust the downpipes or catted H/X pipe they do the same thing higher flowing cats are a must if your modding for more boost to much boost and you will melt the stock cats real quick. For stock setups the factory cats or more than enough even for adding a bit more boost.

Coming for the Corvette world most guys replace the headers with American Racing long tubes and high flow cats set up. That way you can boot the shit out of it and not worry about cats melting of restricting exhaust flow. My 24 R is plenty for the street if I had a Whipple on it I would be going to jail.....

Honestly, dealers are already replacing stock cats on because of failures. The flow path is not balanced to the entire cat face and is concentrated on the lower 1/3 portion.

Picture here off 2023 R with 8000 miles.

IMG_4568.jpg

You can see how only the lower 1/3rd is getting flow. Add a Whipple to this and you'll have even worse issues.