So... What do you think about the new Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about selling my 2013 soon as the market is super strong currently. My plan is to order the 2017 when order banks opened but that could change if Ford does announces a V8 TT. Regardless there's still lots of info we are waiting on from Ford that will help us decide whether to buy the next Raptor and when.

And I expect a full report before I hopefully order mine in early 2017. :)

Last edited:

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't dislike the new Raptor. However, I am disappointed in a few of the design changes, as well as the engine choice.

One of the distinct design features that sets our Raptors apart from the traditional F-150s, Chevy Silverados, Rams & Tundras is the bulging and rounded out fenders, front and rear. The fenders give our Raptors a very unique "trophy truck" appearance that I really enjoy and feel is unique in a production vehicle. The fender design of the new Raptor, while still bulging, no longer gives it the appearance of a trophy truck. Ford decided to square off the bulging lines, to where the fenders almost appear like Chevys or Toyotas. Don't get me wrong, the wider fenders still make the truck look beefy as hell and sets it apart from the competitors' trucks, but I'm not sure what they were smoking when they decided to go square with the fenders.

The engine choice is more of a philosophy. A philosophy that I hope will change once Ford realizes is a stupid one. Going small with a 6-cylinder engine (despite the turbocharger) to save 2 mpg is a mistake. Especially for this market segment. Folks that buy these trucks are not buying them for the mileage. I truly believe Ford will realize this after a year or two and will pull the Eco-6 and either replace it with a new V8 or at least offer the option for a V8, naturally aspirated or super/turbo charged.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is interesting. I was just looking at some pics and I noticed the rear seats are no longer a bench style seat but in reality 3 bucket seats. I am not sure how I feel about this. 3 bucket seats means room for 3 but as you know you could fit 4 in back now in the bench seat if you needed to. Also how would 3 bucket seats fold up?

2017-Ford-F-150-Raptor-Interior-6-1440x900.jpg

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is interesting. I was just looking at some pics and I noticed the rear seats are no longer a bench style seat but in reality 3 bucket seats. I am not sure how I feel about this. 3 bucket seats means room for 3 but as you know you could fit 4 in back now in the bench seat if you needed to. Also how would 3 bucket seats fold up?
They fold up the same as the current seats from what I can tell from these pics. The 60/40 or 70/30 whatever they called it. You can see the split on the passenger side and then no split where the middle position seat belt is.

2017-ford-f-150-raptor-image-interior-1.jpg

Ford_Raptor_Live05.png

2017-ford-f-150-raptor-13_1600x0w.jpg

2017_ford_raptor_interior_seats.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Personally, I think it looks like an insecure kid's ugly toy. It doesn't look serious. Current Raptors look good. They have some flash and get attention, but in a confident, capable, no BS kind of way. Nothing is flimsy or fake chrome about the truck, from its looks to its abilities....the 2017 just loses that. It looks great covered in dirt but you'll still be taken seriously arriving at a business meeting in one....that's a big thing. And that's no easy task.

And you know what they say about opinions, but I don't want a turbo'ed out Raptor...it just doesn't seem right no matter how good the engineering may be.

Of course, I've got a 2014 so I don't really care for a while, but if I did.....

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I think it looks like an insecure kid's ugly toy. It doesn't look serious. Current Raptors look good. They have some flash and get attention, but in a confident, capable, no BS kind of way. Nothing is flimsy or fake chrome about the truck, from its looks to its abilities....the 2017 just loses that. It looks great covered in dirt but you'll still be taken seriously arriving at a business meeting in one....that's a big thing. And that's no easy task.

So what's flimsy or fake chrome about the new truck? Because I don't see any flimsy or fake chrome on it. It's one thing to just not be partial to the new style, but you make it seem like they dropped some of the stuff from the original raptor and went a different route.

Gen 1 - 2 hood vents to the side, Gen 2 - 1 hood vent in the center
---same theme, different style

Gen 1 - fender vents, Gen 2 - fender vents
---same theme, different style

Gen 1 - bold grille with LED markers, Gen 2 - bold grille with LED markers
---same theme, slightly different style

Gen 1 - Fox 2.5 suspension, Gen 2 - Fox 3.0 suspension
---same theme, better capability

Gen 1 - Regular f150 rear bumper, Gen 2 - Raptor specific to improve angles
---more raptor specific theme, more capability

Gen 1 - Flared fenders, Gen 2 - Flared fenders
---carrying the same theme into the new body style

And many many many more almost identical features that were just tweaked slightly to fit the new body style f150.....front bumper, front skid, running boards, etc. etc.

I can completely understand some people not liking the new style changes, but you can't deny that they pretty much kept every raptor feature that made a raptor a raptor over a regular f150, when they updated to the new body style. The only argueable one is the engine choice, but styling, looks, etc. it's right on par whether you like it or not.