Shock Therapy getting into Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this video the other day. I’m curious as to what they do for their “proprietary” valving. I wonder if they add more bleed holes and valves to the bypass tube I’ve run a few different “shim tunes” and honestly couldn’t feel any difference. I think modifying the bypass is where you’ll feel the most difference.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They have created their own shock tuning recipes (for aftermarket shocks) with different applications; but so has SDI, AccuTune, KDM, and others. By comparison, over the last 25 years, Fox has spent 500X on their recipes, with dedicated engineers & equipment plus their own desert racing facility in Lucerne Valley. Recently, they purchased a new Trophy Truck specifically for their Live Valve racing shock development. Most new Trophy Truck builds are using Foxes now.

With all that invested in their own products, I don't think Fox can be beat in tuning their own shocks.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all that invested in their own products, I don't think Fox can be beat in tuning their own shocks.

Fox tuned our trucks with input from ford, and to make the truck appeal to the masses. The OEM valving can 100% be improved upon. Prime example is the shim stacks are the same front and rear.

That being said, the OEM 2.5" shock on the Gen1 are mediocre at best. I would skip the rebuilds/revalves and just buy the new ones from Rock Auto, and save your money for upgrading to 3.0's.

Reason I say don't bother with the rebuilds is if you aren't sending your shocks in to be rebuilt, but instead are sending them as exchanges after you receive your rebuilt set, it seems most guys get dinged on the core charges pretty heavily, to the point getting rebuilds is not exactly worth it.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 shocks is huge. Aluminum body, more side stacks and bigger internals. Fox is not going to do anything to "upgrade" the gen 1 shocks so its up to the aftermarket to take the technology improvements and apply them to the Gen 1 shocks. But, unless you do something with the bypass's i don't think you'll get much improvement.

Also, the shims are different between front and rear shocks as well as between SCREW and SCAB trucks. I've rebuilt quite a few shocks and have seen this personally. I also agree that most of the exchange programs will hit you hard on core charges.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also agree that most of the exchange programs will hit you hard on core charges.
The guys 2 guys in the video... use to do on same day rebuilds. almost looked like they had a storage unit 14x35 or something like that. they pull your gen 1 in pull the shocks and rebuild them put it back on all same day.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 shocks is huge. Aluminum body, more side stacks and bigger internals. Fox is not going to do anything to "upgrade" the gen 1 shocks so its up to the aftermarket to take the technology improvements and apply them to the Gen 1 shocks. But, unless you do something with the bypass's i don't think you'll get much improvement.

Also, the shims are different between front and rear shocks as well as between SCREW and SCAB trucks. I've rebuilt quite a few shocks and have seen this personally. I also agree that most of the exchange programs will hit you hard on core charges.

It's compression/rebound valve stacks are the same, or front/rear is the same. Been a while since I've been in a set og Gen1 shocks. Can't remember 100%

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Front shims are not the same as rear shims. Valve body my be the same but that would be very hard to measure and verify. I'd bet the valve is the same on all Gen 1 shocks, just the shim thickness, diameter and quantity vary between the 4 different part #s.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See. that valving is really close the same front and rear. I said I couldn't remember if comp/rebound was same, or if front/rear was same. It's front and rear that's basically the same except the last fulcrum shim, on my truck I don't think the fulcrum was even different, but it's been 5 years. Not a lot of development in that shim stack, super standard stuff.