Finally picked up my Gen 1 — now the fun starts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jbfj

Reaction score
Yeah,ive owned mine for 8 trouble free years now,except for rebuilding the rear end..but thats my fault,tends to happen when you have 600hp supercharger...so getting time to open the checkbook..shocks,upgrade brakes,tune up,trans-cooling flush...been buying parts little at time so it doesnt hurt as much..figuring $7k when done.
So,your Ford dealer might be different,but mine wouldnt touch it..said if they did the recall it wouldnt run right and if it was running ok now..leave it alone..But the funny thing is next day i get call from Service manger telling me to contact Whipple (covering his ass,id say) which is where i learned the programmer and tune is $1000..and,well back in 2014 they didnt send with the truck after Shelby sent to Whipple for the SC...even called original owner to make sure he didnt have....hopefully for you Roush is different...but not happy with Shelby America or Whipple at this point...my truck got a $22k upgrade at time and they didnt include the programmer
Whole point of the recall is to keep it running ok!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whole point of the recall is to keep it running ok!
Couldnt agree more.....but from what I learned...even though Roush and Shelby are Ford's...once you put a SC on it,its now a modified vehicle..and we all know how dealers like to use that as an excuse....my gripe is the Mod's were done and sold thru Ford....got a recall notice...Why wont you honor the recall..! You have vehicles that can go from 80mph to 0 ...you sold Supercharged vehicles and now you say...just leave it alone if your not having problems..LOLOLOLOLOLOL seems to me if this "problem" happens its gonna be ugly...!
Same old BS...Ford sends you to Shelby....Shelby sends you to Whipple....Whipple has terrible customer service,so took me a month of emails and phone calls before they let me know I needed to bend over and hand them $1000 so FORD could do the recall...at same time Ford is telling me to not worry about it...
Still love my Raptor to death..just not the runaround and BS....
Hope you have better outcome...would love to hear how it goes for you....!

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It took me quite A few dealers. I called the number on the recall letter....they called the dealer they set up the appointment. took on the day they scheduled. in out in an hour.

JLW2

Reaction score
Get the 27 done. Grab a pack of mini fuses for now. I have the kit but have not done it yet. I’ve had the car die once and replaced the fuse

My local dealer installs the Roush superchargers. He did my transmission recall. If I had the supercharger on mine , I would’ve just asked them about any concern with the tune and assume they would know how to set it properly. I was concerned about the transmission issue since when I purchased mine, our cars were not included in the recall, but was a little relieved to find that they did add it so that I did not have to worry about the transmission doing any kind of crazy shifting while I was driving down the highway and having to take it to the dealer to prevent that when it was not under recall

I have been considering the sunroof drain thing, but no one on the forum seems to have done it , or at least not responded to my post about where the tubes come out. I don’t open my roof much, but I got the recommended lube for gasket maintenance. It’s my understanding that some water always gets past that gasket and is going to go down your drain hole. Check your cab seals, and if any of them are open, I would replace them and spray the wax inside of the rocker panel. I guess Ford decided that the small amount of water that would get in there would not likely cause your car to rust out. At least that’s what I’m hoping because I’ve left my drain tubes where they are.

I have not disconnected my rear window heater yet, but I also haven’t used it yet - Florida !

9AND3 Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After a ~6mo search, I’ve picked up a Gen 1. Thanks to everyone on here who offered advice and answers to my questions while on the hunt.

2014 Roush w/ 100k miles

I’m now thinking about what kind of maintenance steps I want to take. Been combing through some previous threads, and the below is what I have come up with. Wondering if anyone would add or remove from the below:

1. General maintenance including checking shocks, change all fluids and oil / air filters
2. Fuse 27 relocation
3. Lead frame recall — little nervous about this given the Roush tune. Worth just asking a local dealer what they think?
4. No rust that I can find, and frame is painted, but want to do woolwax on the frame and fluid film on rockers to get ahead of rust.
5. Is it worth trying to relocate the sun roof drain line?
6. Reading that people are disconnecting their sun roof and rear window defroster. Sun roof seems worth doing, what are thoughts on the rear window defrost?
8. Given the truck is supercharged, I was planning on installing an oil separator / catch can, but now reading that they can cause pressure / valve issues (https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/should-you-fit-a-catch-can-to-your-engine#:~:text=Curing the nonexistent problem of,not be covered by warranty.). Anyone have experience with catch cans on supercharged trucks?
7. I live in the northeast so this truck is going to see salt for the first time this winter. Hoping the wool wax saves the frame. Anyone have thoughts or experience bedlining the whole exterior to prevent body rust?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out — looking forward to tinkering and learning more about these trucks now that I have my own!View attachment 470367
Super clean Gen 1, congrats!

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '13 Raptor has the sunroof, wish it didn't as I never use it.
Plenty of threads about doing the mod to move the drains.
I did it on mine. Had to extend the hoses to get them out of the rockers.
I also use a creeping spray that seeps into joints and seams. I spray that into the cab corners and rockers through the holes behind the rockers and through the holes behind the interior panels. It will drip out as it finds its way down through the seams, so don't park it on a nice driveway for a couple if days.