GEN 2 Rumor: No more leaf springs in 2021 !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to ask in a new thread but didn’t want to sound dumber than usual why it is a solid axle instead of four wheel independent suspension.

But then I just rented new RAZR 1000 in Moab which may be a bad comparison, don’t know, but you all know it has 4 wheel independent suspension with huge shocks, huge travel. Well, the ride sucked. Super rough over small rocks and terrible over washboard road. The thing shook and rattled like my balls on a hot tin roof.

I know close to zero about trucks except I like em, especially my Raptor.

So edumacate me on why, other than cost, they’ve been how they are so long?

Unless I’m wrong, and I may be, doesn’t dodge have rear independent suspension and thus a smoother on road feel?

Wouldn’t independent suspension eliminate the dreaded rear wheel hop?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Real trucks that do real truck shit have solid rear axles & leaf springs. If it were better to ride on 4 corner coilovers (not talking about ride, talking about putting in truck work- towing, hauling, plowing, etc.) then you’d see “real” trucks rocking that setup, if it were so great why doesn’t ram make their HD Cummins that way (firstoff- good luck w/ 1000 ft/lbs w/o a sold axle)?

Dunno if it’s necessarily better or worse for off-roading...but I guess it allows for more articulation....on other hand many built off-road vehicles have dual solid axles front/rear & have the type of $$$$ thrown @ em they could EASILY have 4 week ind suspension.

For ride comfort, handling, packaging they’re definitely the way to go- but that’s for performance & luxury vehicle concerns....hauling heavy shit in a 8k lb vehicle? Solid rear axle & leafs please.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Hopefully it wasn't just a Ranger testing. A linked rear suspension and coil springs would be so much better and easier to upgrade. The big question is what can they to to the front suspension so it could keep up?

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn’t dodge have rear independent suspension and thus a smoother on road feel?

you're confusing IRS and a live axle with coils, they're not the same. yes the Ram has a 4 link coil setup in the rear, but it's paired to a solid axle. if Ram offered an IRS you'd know it, there'd be UCA, LCA, CV's etc. just like the IFS on your truck.

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not educated in suspensions, however why not just go to independent in the rear? Seems like it would provide the best ride and articulation for off roading.

Humvees are rear independent and look Awesome.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna keep my Gen 2 so I can go to the Gen 3 forums and pretend my Gen 2 is superior. I just want to know how the Gen 1ers feel when they're being delusional.

Haha, that won’t work because you don’t have a Gen 1.