replacing my left front CV axle assembly, but wondering about correct part number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratty

Reaction score
I've had a torn boot in my left front axle, went thru an entire winter with it and would like to swap in a new assembly before the bearings eat themselves and have a bigger problem when it fails.

My question is, does the 2010 Raptor use a different CV-assembly than an F-150?

I've found several variations of the part available looking it up on several parts sites, only a few specify "non-SVT Raptor", and some specify "w/o Hill Descent Control" or "w/ Hill Descent Control" (the latter being the correct one).

As far as price, they're surprisingly low for what I would suspect it being for a Raptor, in the $150-$250 range, though when I had brought it to a shop they did a quick lookup in their parts books and it was double or even quadruple that amount.

So far, the safest bet that I can see as far as part numbers, is a Motorcraft TX779 (AL3Z3A427C), that goes for around $170-$210 depending on the site. For anyone else that has replaced these, does that part number and price sound right? Thanks!

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you could just buy a new boot.
Don't know if I would want to keep it in there if it has had a torn boot for an entire winter...

Thread here shows some that I was thinking about if I have to replace mine...

GEN1 High Angle CV axles

OP
OP
ratty

ratty

Reaction score
Don't know if I would want to keep it in there if it has had a torn boot for an entire winter...

Thread here shows some that I was thinking about if I have to replace mine...

GEN1 High Angle CV axles

of course I haven't been on this forum in a few weeks, and I managed to order what I thought was the correct CV assembly from RockAuto but it looks like I might've ordered the wrong one... maybe, maybe not. I ordered Motorcraft TX779 (alternate # AL3Z3A427C, and interchange numbers AL3Z3A427B, TX537, TX580), for the F-150 with Hill Descent Control, but from what I hear, the main noticeable difference between standard F-150 4x4 front CV assemblies and the Raptor version, is the threaded end on the hub side on the Raptor is fairly large and the non-Raptor F-150 is fairly small. What 'fairly' is only helps if you have the two side by side. Trying to find the actual size so I can see if what I have is the correct one or not (the one I ordered is around a 10mm, just a tad bigger than 3/8"). I don't want to tear my old one out and find out it's the wrong one as my Raptor is my only vehicle these days. If anyone knows the correct part number, lemme know.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's been a while, probably over a year, but when I did my IWEs and had to remove the axles, there was a pretty small axle nut compared to most other AWD or FWD vehicles I have had to work on. No 30+mm axle nuts. Don't know if it was 10mm, but that may have been close. Good luck with the fix

OP
OP
ratty

ratty

Reaction score
They are different than F150s. Thicker. I just did this last Christmas. I kept my old ones in the factory boxes to rebuild at some point. Here are the right part #s (Motorcraft) excuse my handwritingView attachment 458939
ah, thanks... I actually have the correct one then (TX779 for the driver's side)... Time to swap it before my old one fails (and you know when they do, they take out everything in the neighborhood as well...). Curious to see if it gets rid of a whining noise for the past year and a half, that I have yet to figure out its source. My best theory was something in the trans, with another theory possibly in the rear, a pinion bearing maybe (though I tore it open and found no metal glitter in the lube, replaced it anyway just for the hell of it)... Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear, sometimes from the front, sometimes in the middle... no idea. When I used to be a mechanic, we had these mics we would attach the the underside of the vehicles, that I'd drive around with to try and locate the sound... those were never very conclusive either, sounds in a vehicle are a bitch to locate sometimes as it vibrates and travels all over the chassis. Would be awesome when I replace this and the sound goes away, but I bet it won't. Keeping my fingers crossed!