Removable Winch install on my raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a ford 2008 or 2009 f150 warn receiver for a Ford Expedition. (craigslist find) I did have to drill two holes through my frame. But that's how they installation is requires from Warn Otherwise everything lined up perfect as you can see in the pic. The receiver fits nice and square in the lower grill. Looks like its meant to be.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me out here...

So, you carry this cradle on the back of your vehicle...

2efe49a2.png

But move it to the front when necessary by having a hitch mount, mounted up front?

2447d1304747880-removable-winch-install-my-raptor-img_0480-jpg

2448d1304747936-removable-winch-install-my-raptor-img_0481-jpg

Can you run the winch from both front and back this way if you had to? Can you get power from the rear?

And I think you said, you did it this way because you didn't want a gaudy winch hanging off the front end 24/7, right?

Vettster

Reaction score
Help me out here...

So, you carry this cradle on the back of your vehicle...

But move it to the front when necessary by having a hitch mount, mounted up front?

Can you run the winch from both front and back this way if you had to? Can you get power from the rear?

And I think you said, you did it this way because you didn't want a gaudy winch hanging off the front end 24/7, right?

That's what my kit is designed to do. It has a solenoid and cables with quick disconnects running to both front and rear.

Similar to this but with the cables:
Warn Industries - Electrical Accessories for Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: Power Interrupt Kit

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...they can speak for themselves about their setups...but most guys I know only bring the winch and cradle along when they have a likelihood of needing it. Others carry it with them, secured in the bed or rear seat.

The advantages of temporary mobile mounts are carrying less weight except when needed, keeping the winch and line out of the elements, and having front and rear capabilities. Winch can also be shared between vehicles.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...they can speak for themselves about their setups...but most guys I know only bring the winch and cradle along when they have a likelihood of needing it. Others carry it with them, secured in the bed or rear seat.

The advantages of temporary mobile mounts are carrying less weight except when needed, keeping the winch and line out of the elements, and having front and rear capabilities. Winch can also be shared between vehicles.

exactly! i hardly ever go offroading by myself, and most who i go with have winches or hook-ups for winches.

the way im installing it it wont need any relays. I have a cable that connects power to the winch (blue connector) that goes to the rear, i will also attatch one going to the front, each connecting directly to the battery. Then i am disassembling one of my control pendants and wiring it to 2 of my onboard switches.

i already got all the specs and everything laid out. its actually VERY easy to do. if you can wire up lights and your SVT illuminated symbol, you can do this.

and like what was said earlier, this can be removed to where i wont be carrying the load of a winch 24/7, and only take it out with me when i go offroading. I will toss it in a pelican case and tie it down in the bed of my truck when im offroading (keep it away from dirt/mud and debri).

so far the hardest mod i ever did to my truck to date is installing my pioneer Z110BT navi. everything else is seeming like a breeze. I didnt think i would appreciate the onboard OEM switches from Ford, but man, they are coming in hand big time! Well done SVT

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a ford 2008 or 2009 f150 warn receiver for a Ford Expedition. (craigslist find) I did have to drill two holes through my frame. But that's how they installation is requires from Warn Otherwise everything lined up perfect as you can see in the pic. The receiver fits nice and square in the lower grill. Looks like its meant to be.

Nice install! you are ahead of me on this one, i am just trying to get it done before the season kicks off. I was just trying to get specs from Warn, luckily they got them all down for me and sent them my way.

I will write a tutorial once i get it done and installed. this is probably the best Winch install for our trucks, as we dont need the extra weight while offroading hanging off the front. if there is any weight that needs to be distributed, i would like it in the bed of the truck or my back seats where it belongs.

but yes, your winch looks awesome man! i got a 10K Warn winch coming..i read you want 1 and 1/2 times the weight of your truck..and warn winches are phenomenal from what i have experienced and have been hearing. those smittybuilts seem pretty nice as well..but i would rather get a warn if i can get a good deal on it.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a ford racing light bar, till I came across this. This would be awesome to have, but looks kinda gaudy..or maybe would be nice to see it in person first before I drop 1300 on it, but this works with what I'm doing (front and rear hitch style winch)

dsc00598.jpg

Ryobi99

Reaction score

YMP I don't suppose you can track down a part number for the warn receiver hitch? I want to do your mod on my screw but living in Aus I don't want to take a punt on the right one.. Any help would be fantastic.

Also when installing do you need to use the same mounting points as for the front tow hooks at all? Or the holes you mention you drill are they drilled through the frame from above?