Red Tow Hook

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFouts

Reaction score

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured this out on my own it was pretty easy. Remove the skid plate, look towards the back of the hooks for two bolts. Remove the one that is straight through, loosen the one that is a keyslot, slide them out. Paint and clear coat and put back. The plastic trim around the hook concerned me since it looked like they needed to go on with the hooks, but was very simple to get back in place after the hooks. Pretty flexible.

I used Kustom Canz paint code CN for code orange and couldn’t be happier. Went with the spray setup with 2k clear coat. The clear coat is phenomenal stuff but be warned it needs to be used in 24 hours since it’s a 2 part mix-in-can. Get everything ready to want to paint and do it all at once.
Looks awesome…..Assuming this is referencing a pro type sprayer. If I get a 2025 I want to get my hooks red to but I don’t have a pro setup

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2k clear coat. The clear coat is phenomenal stuff but be warned it needs to be used in 24 hours since it’s a 2 part mix-in-can.
Be warned- it also has the "this-shit-goes-straight-to-your-liver-and-gives-you-cancer" chemicals in it. Probably benzene and tolulene.

You need to wear the proper respirator when using it, something rated for organic chemicals. You don't have to be paranoid about it, but get the right mask and don't be flippant about it. 3M has the right cartridges available for their common respirators. Don't use something only rated for dust.

alockbox

Reaction score
Looks awesome…..Assuming this is referencing a pro type sprayer. If I get a 2025 I want to get my hooks red to but I don’t have a pro setup
Absolutely not a pro type sprayer. Kustom Canz sells the paint in a spray can and the clear coat as well. Just use it in a well ventilated space. I did mine in my garage stuck into some foam. You don't even need to do the whole hook, as per my pic.

tone228

Reaction score
Absolutely not a pro type sprayer. Kustom Canz sells the paint in a spray can and the clear coat as well. Just use it in a well ventilated space. I did mine in my garage stuck into some foam. You don't even need to do the whole hook, as per my pic.
How is the paint holding up? Did you sand first or just spray and clear?

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks...yeah I just looked them up. Def looks like the way to go. Thinking about pulling the trigger and ordering a 2025 37

alockbox

Reaction score
How is the paint holding up? Did you sand first or just spray and clear?
It looks like the day I did it, just dustier right now! Yes, definitely scuff or sand first to give the paint something to adhere to. I did four to five light coats. The paint is dense and will drip if you apply too much. Be patient, take your time, follow the instructions on it. It worked out great. Aside from sanding, the key is really going to be the clear coat mixed and applied well before it hardens. It's recommended to use it within 24 hours. The clear coat is automotive grade and has a very nice gloss finish.