Recon "LED" Illuminated Fender Logos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey how did you stop the light from bleeding over?

Taped off the whole backside with electrical tape.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

So the question is, does this redeem recon?

So far... Possibly.

I want to see longevity and I still hate the fact that they would have only issued credit vs a refund because i used PayPal. I'm not a fan of skirting quality customer service.

Princenet201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taped off the whole backside with electrical tape.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

So far... Possibly.

I want to see longevity and I still hate the fact that they would have only issued credit vs a refund because i used PayPal. I'm not a fan of skirting quality customer service.

Thanks RaptorSCrew it sucks that that the light bleeds through. They still haven't shipped my lights yet. They said it should ship next week.

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks RaptorSCrew it sucks that that the light bleeds through. They still haven't shipped my lights yet. They said it should ship next week.

No problem.

Didn't take but about five minutes per side to take care of the backside. Well worth the little bit of effort.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Questions:

1) how does the plastic look? quality and color (black or grey)?

2) why are you wiring them to your upfitter switches? can they just tie into your lights?

3) do they make the truck get better gas mileage?

4) any tips on removing the old vents?

5) do they make the truck go faster?

6) are they bright enough to act like cornering lights?

7) is masking them off with electrical tape going to cause issues with heat? or do the LEDs run cool enough? I've got some liquid electrical tape, thoughts on using it?

Thanks!

OP
OP
RaptorScrew

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Questions:

1) how does the plastic look? quality and color (black or grey)?

2) why are you wiring them to your upfitter switches? can they just tie into your lights?

3) do they make the truck get better gas mileage?

4) any tips on removing the old vents?

5) do they make the truck go faster?

6) are they bright enough to act like cornering lights?

7) is masking them off with electrical tape going to cause issues with heat? or do the LEDs run cool enough? I've got some liquid electrical tape, thoughts on using it?

Thanks!

1. Looks OEM - matches the hood vents in color IMO

2. If I get pulled over for the red color, I can flip them off quickly (the lights - not the cop) and make the Popo second guess himself... ;)

3. Yes, down hill.

4. Be Careful. I used a small plastic putty knife and slid it in then used a very small standard driver between the putty knife and vent so I didn't risk scratching the paint.

5. Yes, down hill.

6. Cornering light in the middle of the truck? Why?

7. I wouldn't think the LEDs will get hot at all. I'd be concerned with liquid electrical tape as it would possibly cause everything to short out being a liquid and all... :)

Hope this helps... :-/

Last edited:

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thae look nice but man....... Recon sucks so bad I don't think I could ever bring myself to buying any.

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Looks OEM - matches the hood vents in color IMO ( I agree )

2. Mine are Amber :)

3. Yes, down hill. ( Agree )

4. I followed another post on how to do the EL Tape and used a shaved down credit card to protect the paint and then a putty knife to pop it off. You can also reach the inside of the vent from inside the hood easily to help push it out.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/svt-vent-back-lighting-mod-5928/

5. Yes, down hill. ( Agree )

6. I am not sure what you mean. They are very bright though.

7. I wouldn't think the LEDs will get hot at all. ( I agree )

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1. Looks OEM - matches the hood vents in color IMO

2. If I get pulled over for the red color, I can flip them off quickly (the lights - not the cop) and make the Popo second guess himself... ;)

3. Yes, down hill.

4. Be Careful. I used a small plastic putty knife and slid it in then used a very small standard driver between the putty knife and vent so I didn't risk scratching the paint.

5. Yes, down hill.

6. Cornering light in the middle of the truck? Why?

7. I wouldn't think the LEDs will get hot at all. I'd be concerned with liquid electrical tape as it would possibly cause everything to short out being a liquid and all... :)

Hope this helps... :-/

Great response to my smart-ass questions!! LOL

On #2 that's a great idea. Officer, I'm sure it was just some kind of reflection you saw!! Are you off your meds by any chance?

On #6 I was mostly kidding, but with a Screw you are only a 1/4 down the truck with the vents. On dark roads I have problems seeing the turn clearly through my tinted windows. Not as bad now with my ADD bumper since my outside set of fog lights point at an angle. I'm sure these LEDs aren't that bright anyway.

On #7 I was assuming I would apply the liquid tape before they were wired. I have never used it before, so I have no idea how it performs.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Just a thought/idea instead of electrical tape I would think some black model paint around the edges would block the bleeding light right? Just an idea... As well as notifying the company so they can possibly fix the issue... I know it's a long shot with their current record of customer service but if I were the owner of this company I would fix any wrongs even if it cost me money in the end to make it right...