Recaro seats vs Regular leather seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2017 Raptor. There were no Recaros then. I was very spoiled by thigh support, adjustable, extendable thigh support found in many sports cars, M cars, AMG, etc.

Having traded a Porsche Macan Turbo with amazingly comfortable 18-way adjustable seats, including adjustable thigh support for the Raptor, I immediately missed that feature and found the seat cushion too short. It made the seat uncomfortable. I traded that Raptor for a Porsche Panamera within 10 months. I then bounced from a 911 to another 911 and added a 2018 Platinum which had massaging seats. Why that’s not available in the Raptor is dumb.

When the Recaros were announced, I immediately called a dealer about 100 miles away in NJ who had one of the few on lot with them. I got a salesman on the phone, really nice guy named Lenny. I said Lenny, you got a tape measure? He said I’ll get one. I said good. Go measure the seat cushion on a Raptor with and without Recaros. If the Recaro seat cushion is longer, I’ll be there today to buy it. He called me back within a few minutes and said The Recaro seat cushion is 3/4 to 1 inch longer. I bought my 19 Raptor that day and drove it home. They are much more comfortable. As for the blue Alcantara, it’s ok, not my favorite, wish it came in all leather, but comfort trumps looks all day in my book.

Your last sentence sums up my feelings also. I think they would look better if they were gray, but the support and comfort is great. I have a 36" inseam and am 6'3" so I have an issue also if seat bottoms are a little short. I really like the blue stitching and the CF package that comes with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t like the cloth showing. I am messy and as much as I try, that pretty blue fabric will have various color dots before it’s a year old. And probably some chocolate melted into it.

I sat in one and couldn’t tell the difference with side bolstering but maybe I’m used to Recaro race seats.

And when are you gonna get your Raptor??

When the sky finishes falling. I hear from a friend who works for Ford that the 0% financing that was never available for the Raptor in the past is coming. Now the wait for prices to hit rock bottom.

BTW, I like the way the blue looks and that it is pretty rare. And was not aware of the additional stitching accents. I've driven with Recaros both on the track and off for almost 45 years so am excited about having them in a Raptor.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sat in both. Liked the way both felt to sit in. Stock seats seemed plenty comfortable and quite supportive for me particularly with the newer bolsters on the sides. Also 6’3” but seemed seat length of stock was adequate. Came down to justifying the cost. Maybe liked Recaro’s slightly more... I just didn’t like the Recaro’s that much more than the stock. My recollection they were spendy bastards too. Blue neither bothered me nor inspired me. Kinda a cost/benefit ratio for me. Much like the Carbon Fiber, just didn’t seem worth the money for me.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I actually had this convo the other day with a guy at work wanting to buy a 2020 raptor and he asked what options I had, which ones I like and could do without! And honestly these seats have become my favorite by far!

I sat in both at dealership and immediately felt the difference in comfort! They def hold you in place better. Which is nice on curvy mountain roads or off road. Also, the ventilation is much better on the Recaro. Not sure why but the air really flows through them when you turn your cooled seat on. Which is another feature that seams minor but is a must if u daily drive it or live in warm climate.

Anyway, I was skeptical on the blue and honestly if I didn't have a performance blue truck it would probably bother me a bit visually. But it ties into my truck well, and actually looks much better in person compared to pics. And the stitching gives it a little extra pop as well. However I will agree an option for grey would be more neutral and appealing for the range of exterior colors.

As for the longevity of the Alcantara, I treated mine with suede/fabric protectant the day I brought it home. I'm not easy on it. I hunt, fish, eat food while driving, spill stuff, etc. It's held up great! No stains, scuffs, discolorations or anything. When I accumulate a little filth, A quick hit with a shop vac and it looks brand new.

Actually feel its holding up better than full leather. Doesn't get all the creases and lines. Also doesn't get extremely hot when in direct sunlight or freezing cold in winter like leather.

As for cost, there are a few factors that go into that. I know it sounds counterintuitive but the more options you have the more you can negotiate off sticker. Thats why you will see higher rebates on a premium trim level vehicles vs basic trim level. The higher end options are marked up almost double, sometimes more, than their actual cost. So if u negotiate properly and dealer works with u, you arent paying "full" sticker cost of any option.

It's definitely a option that I felt was nice but not 100% necessary when I was shopping raptors. However after having it. If I were buying a new truck, its the first box I'd check!

The only downside I could really see is they may be a bit too bolstered/snug for a "husky" built person.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have them, but i bought my truck used.. i was only searching for a used 19 SCAB 802a... and there was only like 4 in the country at the time. (autotrader, cargurus)

i dont know if the package is worth $3K but I think it def looks/feels much more high end than the basic interior. the seats are great and alcantara is pretty resilient to stains and wear... ive been carrying an alcantara wallet for over a year and it still looks great as well..

not too concerned about the wear on the alcantara, but the leather outer bolster is showing some..

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally looked for a truck without them, until I saw the Recaro’s in person. Since I wanted a blue truck, it definitely made it easier to go with them.

I sat in both back to back, and the Recaro’s felt slightly more comfortable to me. I wouldn’t want a Raptor without them now.

The blue stitching on the dash/steering wheel really sets it off in my opinion.

docskeet1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I regretted them not being available when I got my 2018. When I went to Raptor Assault I spent a day in them in a 2019. I didn’t think they were much different than the standard leather seat.

OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I actually had this convo the other day with a guy at work wanting to buy a 2020 raptor and he asked what options I had, which ones I like and could do without! And honestly these seats have become my favorite by far!

I sat in both at dealership and immediately felt the difference in comfort! They def hold you in place better. Which is nice on curvy mountain roads or off road. Also, the ventilation is much better on the Recaro. Not sure why but the air really flows through them when you turn your cooled seat on. Which is another feature that seams minor but is a must if u daily drive it or live in warm climate.

Anyway, I was skeptical on the blue and honestly if I didn't have a performance blue truck it would probably bother me a bit visually. But it ties into my truck well, and actually looks much better in person compared to pics. And the stitching gives it a little extra pop as well. However I will agree an option for grey would be more neutral and appealing for the range of exterior colors.

As for the longevity of the Alcantara, I treated mine with suede/fabric protectant the day I brought it home. I'm not easy on it. I hunt, fish, eat food while driving, spill stuff, etc. It's held up great! No stains, scuffs, discolorations or anything. When I accumulate a little filth, A quick hit with a shop vac and it looks brand new.

Actually feel its holding up better than full leather. Doesn't get all the creases and lines. Also doesn't get extremely hot when in direct sunlight or freezing cold in winter like leather.

As for cost, there are a few factors that go into that. I know it sounds counterintuitive but the more options you have the more you can negotiate off sticker. Thats why you will see higher rebates on a premium trim level vehicles vs basic trim level. The higher end options are marked up almost double, sometimes more, than their actual cost. So if u negotiate properly and dealer works with u, you arent paying "full" sticker cost of any option.

It's definitely a option that I felt was nice but not 100% necessary when I was shopping raptors. However after having it. If I were buying a new truck, its the first box I'd check!

The only downside I could really see is they may be a bit too bolstered/snug for a "husky" built person.

Thanks for the review. What do you use on the Alcantara? Where in WV are you?

Killr V

Reaction score
I love Recaros; have had them in my SRTs, CTS V and GTR, but usually hard and can get uncomfortable after an hour or so, but it depends on your size too.

I'm 6'6" 260 lbs and could not find a comfortable position in the Recaros when I test drove the Raptor. I bought my 18 with the normal seats and they feel great on long trips.

Xpro

Reaction score
I have a 2019 performance blue and even with that exterior color the recaro seats looked ugly and didn’t fit with the truck!