RAPTOR ASSAULT SCHOOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gablacks

Reaction score
@gablacks when you say “The jump was a bit of a downer compared to what I've already done in mine, however, I did learn some important things about what to do and not do when jump to help avoid damage to the Raptor (again, the purpose of the event realized).”

what did you learn about what not to do? Are you speaking of being in 2wd Baja mode when jumping because they say it can damage the front diff If in 4wd?
I am far from a techie or mechanic. Heck, before 2017 when I got my first Raptor, I had never owned a truck.

However, if that is what you are talking about, and I will stand corrected, I think it’s a bunch of BS. They give you a short takeoff space before the so called jump and don’t want you to pick up speed, that’s why they tell you to be in 2wd.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I won’t tell my wife cause I tell her I’m always right. Lol.
Two things that I took from the “jump station” were:
1. Let off the gas as/before your back tires leave the ground - to keep your tires from ramping up from say 25 mph to 40-50 while in the air (if you kept it floored) so you don’t put all the strain on the gears/drivetrain/etc. when you land. A way to protect their Raptors from more wear/tear but could help us owners as well.
2. I 100% believe they made us use 2WD when jumping to keep our speeds lower and reduce wear/tear on their Raptors because none of us were letting off “early” so I’m guessing the front wheels would spin if in 4WD.

The learning for me was more about letting off the gas at launch vs. keeping it floored the whole time. I hadn’t thought that thru and the few times I’ve jumped mine before the assault, I kept it floored.

Like you said, it wasn’t them saying to only jump in 2WD… just teaching us about why you might in some circumstances and mainly protecting their Raptors.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ty. I didn’t recall that.

Years back I had a Yamaha 650 Grizzly ATV and my son jumped it. He was about 10 yrs old. When he took air he panicked and went heavy on the brakes. As soon as it came down front first with wheels locked it flipped. He was lucky he only took a skinning on his buttocks. lol. Sure put a scare in him though. I was actually videotaping but was on a tripod and he went by me so fast I didn’t pan quick enough and missed it.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things that I took from the “jump station” were:
1. Let off the gas as/before your back tires leave the ground - to keep your tires from ramping up from say 25 mph to 40-50 while in the air (if you kept it floored) so you don’t put all the strain on the gears/drivetrain/etc. when you land. A way to protect their Raptors from more wear/tear but could help us owners as well.
2. I 100% believe they made us use 2WD when jumping to keep our speeds lower and reduce wear/tear on their Raptors because none of us were letting off “early” so I’m guessing the front wheels would spin if in 4WD.

The learning for me was more about letting off the gas at launch vs. keeping it floored the whole time. I hadn’t thought that thru and the few times I’ve jumped mine before the assault, I kept it floored.

Like you said, it wasn’t them saying to only jump in 2WD… just teaching us about why you might in some circumstances and mainly protecting their Raptors.
I also think it was to help keep the shock to the drive train as the front hit if it was still in 4x4. Had a blast at RA and picked up all kinds of tidbits about Raptors. Example: the antilock brakes behave quite different based on the mode you are in. How to best apply one peddle drive vs drive assist. All in all, I really enjoyed the course and my team instructor Donny Edwards was great to work with and a wealth of knowledge.
2L8A0176.jpg

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gablacks when you say “The jump was a bit of a downer compared to what I've already done in mine, however, I did learn some important things about what to do and not do when jump to help avoid damage to the Raptor (again, the purpose of the event realized).”

what did you learn about what not to do? Are you speaking of being in 2wd Baja mode when jumping because they say it can damage the front diff If in 4wd?
I am far from a techie or mechanic. Heck, before 2017 when I got my first Raptor, I had never owned a truck.

However, if that is what you are talking about, and I will stand corrected, I think it’s a bunch of BS. They give you a short takeoff space before the so called jump and don’t want you to pick up speed, that’s why they tell you to be in 2wd.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I won’t tell my wife cause I tell her I’m always right. Lol.
Like a motorcycle- if you apply brakes the nose rotates forward while airborne. If you apply gas the nose rotates up. With the way they have the Assault ramp designed, if you release the gas as you leave the ramp at the speed the ramp is designed to be driven at, you will land level.

JJP023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im signed up for June 30/July 1. Heading in for the weekend from NYC. Anyone else doing that session?