Random loose bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1fastk

Reaction score
To give a little foresight, I don't drive my raptor often, so it has been about a month since I drove it prior to this. I went to change my oil and found a bolt laying on top of my skid plate and given the location its unlikely to have been thrown up from the highway. It also looks very similar to other bolts in the engine bay (head shape, size, and coloring). My engine is very clean never been in the mud so its easy to get a good view of everything, but I have been over the entire engine bay from top to bottom several times now and cannot find where this bolt goes. The largest concern is since finding this bolt there is an extremely loud rattle coming from the engine bay as well which makes me think something is loose. Haven't been able to find the rattle either since it only occurs while driving when the engine us under load around the 3-4k rpm range. The rattle is so loud you cant drown it out with the windows up and radio on as well, so its very noticeable. The rattle will not occur in park while revving the engine to any rpm range which makes finding it difficult. Every flange, bracket, heat shield, strap, exhaust mount, break dust cover, etcetera is tight and nothing is broken. I have attached some pictures of the bolt in question and if someone recognizes the bolt and where it goes it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• bolt pic 1.png
    bolt pic 1.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 18
  • bolt pic 2.png
    bolt pic 2.png
    816.6 KB · Views: 18

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to guess power steering pump...
Just because it looked similar and one of the only things I have had to replace on mine.
Mirror and light might help you see if all of those are in their place.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like AC compressor or Power Steering pump bolt.
It looks similar to the alternator bolt as well, but I would think you would see that straight away with Alt mounted on top of the engine