(Phantom) Supercharger issues already

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2024 R.. Took a bit of a trip with the truck. Drove yesterday no cruise control alternating revs etc etc for breaking in still. Haven’t once been over 4k rpm. Started her up today and heard a faint whine with turn over. Upon light acceleration I hear the whine again. Acceleration feels super slow. I think the supercharger is done at 1500 miles. Drove like a grandma. Now I gotta wait until Tuesday to bring it in. FML
I’m assuming I’m correct in my assessment; anyone have similar issues?
Superchargers whine, first one?

In case there is something wrong check the vacuum hoses, although that shouldnt cause any noise other than hesitation

I forget on the eatons or w/e the new ones are, but my kenne bell leaked oil like crazy for a bit, not sure if theres a fill port or something on yours to check. That can cause more of pronounced whine, but wouldnt cause any acceleration issues.

running 91 or 93?

OP
OP
EagleFive

EagleFive

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Superchargers whine, first one?

In case there is something wrong check the vacuum hoses, although that shouldnt cause any noise other than hesitation

I forget on the eatons or w/e the new ones are, but my kenne bell leaked oil like crazy for a bit, not sure if theres a fill port or something on yours to check. That can cause more of pronounced whine, but wouldnt cause any acceleration issues.

running 91 or 93?
Running 93 usually unless it’s not available. A few fills with 91.

Yes first SC’d vehicle and so I have no idea what’s necessarily normal sound wise.

But I’ve had Plenty of turbo’d ones tho; mostly German; Porsche/audi. A turbo broke on my 991.2 carerra 4s and it sounded/felt very similar to this.

I was basing the feeling off it one day to the next. Two weeks with the truck and no whine and then one day I hear whine and it feels slow. Significantly slower even. No CEL lights or anything. Just a slight whine at low rpm acceleration and my butt dyno saying it’s slow.

That’s about all I’m going off of. But with my 911 I had same feeling and was dead on correct. Blown turbo. Basically brand new also.

As usual I have shit luck. This happens with everything I do. EVERYTHING

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No lights. dont have a code scanner. This is all from feel and sound. It was never making that whine this past week or so since delivery. It’s very faint. Like the trx almost. But the most telling is the acceleration and way the engine feels. Super slow and no torque at all down below in range. Since I’m staying below 4k it was really noticeable. Any video I have won’t show much really. You’d have to be listening intently on a very quiet street to hear it on acceleration but also the engine feel wouldn’t show at all
These trucks are turds cruising/ below 4k rpm. The power band only comes in around 1/2 -throttle. That slight whine you here is normal.. my 23 3.5 raptor does it as well(the 3.5 accelerates faster too below 4k rpm than the r in normal cruising). I think your ok...

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are turds cruising/ below 4k rpm. The power band only comes in around 1/2 -throttle. That slight whine you here is normal.. my 23 3.5 raptor does it as well(the 3.5 accelerates faster too below 4k rpm than the r in normal cruising). I think your ok...
I've seen many people remark about this when comparing the 3.5 acceleration to the 5.2 in lower RPM ranges. If you're saying it feels like the 3.5 you may be fine...

OP
OP
EagleFive

EagleFive

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Closest ford dealer to me is over a week out for service appt so I’m waiting on that. Took the truck for a drive. Definitely a bit of a whine but only if I’m really listening for it. The boost pressure was way up there close to 15 on the gauge when I hit the throttle. I can’t see anything wrong on the gauges or dash. I’m not sure what I was experiencing tbh. I think I’m going crazy right now. The truck feels fine, albeit I need to put much more pressure on the throttle to get the same response and I hear a slight whine is all really. I’m almost used to it now. It was much more noticeable before when I first heard/felt it.
Seriously is it possible that the car feels noticeably different post break in (1000 miles)? Throttle response changed in the ecu?
what about if I got bad gas maybe? I’m considering everything including my sanity. lol

julien194b

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously is it possible that the car feels noticeably different post break in (1000 miles)? Throttle response changed in the ecu?
yes, it's absolutly possible , it s just a prog. I don't know, if ford has choosen tu use this to protect engine during the first hundreds miles in case an idiot decide to beat it directly out of dealer lot, but I have already heard this for other constructors...I don't know the true... Enjoy !!!

OP
OP
EagleFive

EagleFive

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, it's absolutly possible , it s just a prog. I don't know, if ford has choosen tu use this to protect engine during the first hundreds miles in case an idiot decide to beat it directly out of dealer lot, but I have already heard this for other constructors...I don't know the true... Enjoy !!!
It’s literally like one morning the car drove totally different.