Performance Break-In Period

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadhead

Reaction score
I have a 2024 RaptorR. Is performance "limiting" programmed into the vehicle for a certain number of miles and if so, what is it and where can I find the actual "official" source for that info? I don't beat up my vehicles but would like to know at which point I should expect full performance.

OP
OP
D

Deadhead

Reaction score
Thanks. Must be a different book. The only reference to breaking related to mechanical which is 1,000 miles. I've owned several hi performance vehicles and they usually limit full performance for X miles and that may be the case with Ford as well, they just don't specifically say it. I guess I'll know when I know.

OP
OP
D

Deadhead

Reaction score
There's this thing called the owner's manual, might wanna give that a try...? :)
There a thing called an answer. I read the manual. It only deals with mechanical break-in, not performance limiting based on sodtware. I've owned a few performance vehicle and they all had some performance limiting features built into the programming to prevent engine damage.

IMG_0750.jpeg

Leeder3000

Reaction score
I have a 2024 RaptorR. Is performance "limiting" programmed into the vehicle for a certain number of miles and if so, what is it and where can I find the actual "official" source for that info? I don't beat up my vehicles but would like to know at which point I should expect full performance.
I know what you mean. I just got my 2024 Raptor R and is seems to have less torque than a standard Raptor. I've tried it in Sport mode and get slightly better torque and higher engine revs, but that about it. I'm waiting to reach 1,000 miles before I really test the acceleration. Have you passed your break in period?

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off-topic but see it posted. What actual functionality is lost when it's below 13 degrees?

I wouldn't be surprised if it greatly reduces available torque until the engine is up to temp, and maybe even leaves the live valves wide open because the shock oil would be quite thick.

Purely guessing though.