Overstock bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I suggest chewing and re applying every other week to keep the gum pliable for the real ruff stuff. For an extra charge of 150$ I will up grade the masking tape to NASA grade duct tape. For another 100$ we will upgrade the skid plate from 1/8" cardboard to 3/16" extra strength cardboard. You can also use toilet paper rolls to repair the main tube, we use surplus wrapping paper tubes for the best strength and weight savings. This new bumper can be yours for 100,000$ and is only available in places where it dosent rain because it might compromise the strength.

good thing it's a desert truck.

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, why would waste you're time tigging(sp?) mild steel? Why not just mig it and save 3-4 hours of weld time

Maybe someone can shed some light on this mild steel issue for those of us who are uninformed?

A.I.I., I've seen you make several comments about the use of mild steel and it seems like you're saying this as if it's a bad thing.. why? What's the better alternative?

I'm not asking this to mess with you or call you out.. I'm asking because I have no F ing idea the difference between the materials of the bumpers. I see Chromoly, mild, etc and it's all greek.

I'm going to be buying a bumper for my truck and would like to become as informed a consumer as possible.

~BGM

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
maybe because TIG welding actually takes some skill?
And so does Mig welding. Tig is MUCH more difficult but not needed on a bumper

Maybe someone can shed some light on this mild steel issue for those of us who are uninformed?

A.I.I., I've seen you make several comments about the use of mild steel and it seems like you're saying this as if it's a bad thing.. why? What's the better alternative?

I'm not asking this to mess with you or call you out.. I'm asking because I have no F ing idea the difference between the materials of the bumpers. I see Chromoly, mild, etc and it's all greek.

I'm going to be buying a bumper for my truck and would like to become as informed a consumer as possible.

~BGM

Mild isn't as strong as DOM or Chromo. If you get the chance to do a strength test put a piece of mild and a piece of Chromoly in a bender and see what's harder to bend. You'll be shocked at how easy it is to bend the mild compared to the 4130(chromoly)

Mild is also much cheaper per foot than DOM or Chromoly. Last time I checked Mild was $3.50 a foot, DOM was around $5.00 and Chromoly was almost $10 a foot.

Edit:
Just to clairify, there's nothing wrong with a MIld Steel bumper, but for the prices of bumpers these days I would think you'd want the best product for you're $

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
And so does Mig welding. Tig is MUCH more difficult but not needed on a bumper

Mild isn't as strong as DOM or Chromo. If you get the chance to do a strength test put a piece of mild and a piece of Chromoly in a bender and see what's harder to bend. You'll be shocked at how easy it is to bend the mild compared to the 4130(chromoly)

Mild is also much cheaper per foot than DOM or Chromoly. Last time I checked Mild was $3.50 a foot, DOM was around $5.00 and Chromoly was almost $10 a foot.

I'm also just curious how strong does it need to be? is it fair to say that even Mild steel is several times stronger than the stock bumper? also, isn't Mild steel much lighter than chromoly? I'm confused since you say TIG welding isn't necessary because it's just a bumper, then you are suggesting using materials which are seemingly overkill which drives up the cost considerably.

OP
OP
W

WickedPerformanceShop

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We TIG weld our bumpers because it looks nicer then MIG welds.

Chromoly vs. Mild DOM (drawn over mandrel) all of our bumpers are DOM mild steel.

Chromoly is stronger then DOM mild steel so you can use a thinner wall piece of tube. .90 wall Chromoly is about the same strength as .120 wall DOM mild steel. , but half the weight.

Chromoly also has different bending characteristics and failure characteristics which is why its required for most roll cages.

For most of the customers Mild steel is the best choice because chromoly is not making you bumper much stronger its only cutting weight.

Chromoly can also be MIG welded. TIG is just our preference because we want the bumper to look very finished. It makes you wonder how I can TIG weld a bumper and use thicker materials and still be 200-300$ less then our competitors.

AII- you are way off one your pricing I dont know where your getting your Chromoly but your over paying.

Hope this helps some people out.

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

DOM mild vs Mild steel

Sorry left this out.

Both DOM and Mild steel tube are electrically welded on a seem the runs down the length of the tube. You always want that seem to face up or down in a bend so that non of the stress from the bend is put right on the seem.

DOM however as an extra step after being welded it is drawn down a mandrel to get a much more uniform thickness throughout the tube. If its not DOM you tend to get weird ripples in the pipe and its hard to bend as consistently as DOM because the spring back amount tends to change throughout the pipe making it hard to be accurate with bends.

Spring back an rotation is one of the biggest facters in bending. If you do select the proper amount of spring back past the actual degree you want to bend it wont ever come out right. Chromoly, DOM< Mild Steel, Stainless steel all have different spring back. Things as small as temp and humidity can change spring back.

Rotation is very important as well. If you trying to make to bends for lets say the main hoop on a bumper and you dont have the tube perpendicular to the bend die and parallel to the floor you 2 bends will be off.

Thats the benefit in using a CNC bender you can save all yuor spring back settings and it makes the rotation right every time so you have consistent part everytime.