Our Expedition broke for the last time. Will a Raptor be better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thoughts as well. We probably will miss the 3rd row, but we have a 4Runner with a rear cargo area if needed. We ended up taking it camping instead for the last few days since the issues with our expedition.

I understand it’s pretty squishy in the rear, but there are probably some things we could remedy with that.

Still torn on what to replace the expedition with, but it’s going bye bye today.
My ride is the Raptor and the wife has a 2021 4runner. With that said we typically travel long distance vacations in my truck. Like mentioned above most people come on forums to complain about issues but I have now owned all three generations and the only problem I have had was cam phasers on my 2nd Gen that were replaced under warranty. I have all the confidence in the world with the NA V6 on the 4runner that has tried and true reliability. The technology in the Raptor makes me slightly more nervous simply because so much more has the potential to go wrong. With that said, you WILL love the Raptor. The beautiful couple…..IMG_1168.jpegIMG_1280.jpeg

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2016 4Runner trail and yeah the raptor is a much better road trip car, however if i wanted a vehicle to drive in Africa or some shit. Give me the 4Runner.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m going to do something I don’t really like doing, but honestly if you’re main use cases for a Raptor are
1) you want it
2) hauling the family
3) towing anything close to the very low payload limi

you’re going to overpay for a lot of stuff you will never use and thin the available Raptor pool for buyers who may have a more focused use case more in line with the truck.
Ask yourself seriously and objectively - How much do you off road now and how likely would you be to off road with this new $85k truck? Because if it’s any kind of family use asset, if you break it you’re in deep doo doo with the CFO.

If I’m even close to the mark, start looking at either F150 or F250 Tremor. Lots more towing capacity and all the work stuff you give up with the Raptor is still available - you just sacrifice some the Rap’s off road focused talents. Very few of us can exploit the Raptor’s capabilities, a few more of us can and do off road the truck but aren’t pushing hard into its capabilities. There are a few of us -not me - who do truly push the truck hard. I’d like to be in this camp some day.

Now, if you are going to exploit the truck’s features, go for it. But in all honesty, none of us here _need_ a Raptor. We want them and sometimes we take advantage of stuff the Raptor can do that other vehicles can’t.... without breaking a cr@pton of hard parts.

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to do something I don’t really like doing, but honestly if you’re main use cases for a Raptor are
1) you want it
2) hauling the family

you’re going to overpay for a lot of stuff you will never use and thin the available Raptor pool for buyers who may have a more focused use case more in line with the truck.
Ask yourself seriously and objectively - How much do you off road now and how likely would you be to off road with this new $85k truck? Because if it’s any kind of family use asset, if you break it you’re in deep doo doo with the CFO.

If I’m even close to the mark, start looking at either F150 or F250 Tremor. Lots more towing capacity and all the work stuff you give up with the Raptor is still available - you just sacrifice some the Rap’s off road focused talents. Very few of us can exploit the Raptor’s capabilities, a few more of us can and do off road the truck but aren’t pushing hard into its capabilities. There are a few of us -not me - who do truly push the truck hard. I’d like to be in this camp some day.

Now, if you are going to exploit the truck’s features, go for it. But in all honesty, none of us here _need_ a Raptor. We want them and sometimes we take advantage of stuff the Raptor can do that other vehicles can’t.... without breaking a cr@pton of hard parts.
A lot of truth dropped right here, I fall into the “want” category, having owned all the generations, I can say that if I picked any other trim level I would always regret not getting the raptor every time I would pass one in my non raptor trim level. I admit I will likely never use it to even a fraction of it’s capabilities because the terrain needed for that doesn’t exist near me, just like guys buying GT350 mustangs will never use their’s to truly experience its capabilities on a track. I say to the OP if you are like me, you will regret anything other than the Raptor if you can live with its limited towing ability.

MidnightSpecial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) you want it
2) hauling the family

A lot of very solid points here. Also, I would say that if you live in an urban area with tight parking, its just annoying to own a Raptor sometimes. I lived in downtown St Pete and had alley parking. Was an absolute PITA to find parking. On a positive note, I know a lot of people that buy Raptors because of the ride quality alone. I know a lot of us would scoff at that because we want to jump the thing but these trucks do ride better than a A LOT of luxury vehicles out there.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We also had the 2018 Expedition. Not a good vintage in my opinion… it was great when we didn’t have issues… but ended up with major engine issues… cylinder replacements, suspension issues, etc. All under warranty but serious inconvenience. Replaced it with a Rubicon. I had a 2019 Raptor and loved it till i needed to trade up due to mileage… traded with 88k. Very few issues at all but it did have the cam phasers replaced under warranty and a pinion seal replacement for a minor leak. Traded for a 24 and love it! If you want one… quit wringing your hands and don’t sweat it. It’s always a roll of the dice… and that’s what warranty is for!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Being the unfortunate recipient of a blow engine... albeit 178,000 miles, I feel your pain and uncertainty.