Ordering with a vehicle to trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Louisburg offered me the same amount for my trade as my local ford dealer whom I have been doing business with for the past ten years and my local ford dealer would not budge from MSRP.

skee

Reaction score
In terms of Sales Tax Allowance, even though they generally consider it a 'Trade-In Allowance' take a look at how Missouri handles it:

On the 'Buying a Vehicle' guide it says tax is calculated as follows:

State sales tax of 4.225 percent, plus your local sales tax on the purchase price, less trade-in allowance, if any;

But if you go digging through the FAQ:

How can I receive a sales tax allowance when I sell one vehicle and buy a different vehicle to replace the one I sold?

When you apply for a title, you must submit a bill of sale or Notice of Sale (Form 5049) for the vehicle that you sold and the purchase (or contract to purchase) and sale dates must be within 180 days of one another. You do not have to purchase a "like" vehicle to qualify for a sales tax allowance.

Example: You can buy a car and sell a boat and receive a sales tax allowance for the car, but the two events must occur within 180 days of one another.

There are states that don't charge sales tax at all and conversely, those that don't offer sales tax allowances regardless of how you sell your other vehicle. Make sure you check your local laws because you may have a more or less favorable situation than someone else here in the forums.