One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those wanting better MPG

I stole this idea from NASCAR, they use tape on the front of the cars to increase aerodynamics and fuel mileage during races so I figured why not try it on the Raptor. I used the blue 3M painters tape over the grill from the hood down to the trim piece just above the bumper, and from headlight to headlight, minus a small strip in the middle to allow a little air in to keep the radiator cool. Granted it was 40 degrees out so this is only a winter time test/application. I drove roughly the same streets with the same amount of red lights and interstate, used cruise control every chance I could for consistency and the result was pretty surprising being that the grill relatively small compared to the whole front of the truck.
image_zps16f3cd61.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
first leg
image_zpse851af46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
tape job (yes it looks like shit but...)
image_zpse6969b84.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
the results are pretty interesting I think.

D

Deleted member 17706

That's very interesting... I run premium 93 from Costco and average about the same gas mileage. Typically around 15-16 MPG. I typically let my truck warm up for 15-20 mins in the morning, or else it would be a lot higher. My first couple weeks driving my raptor I average around 17.5 MPG, and that was during the middle of August. I drive with cruise control mostly because all my driving consist of highway miles. At least where I live it doesn't get much above freezing.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any vehicle being driven in cold weather should really have about 50% of the radiator or more blocked off. A bed cover and blocking off the grill (even in warmer temps) will result in higher MPG's. You have to imagine they have to design the air openings to cool the trucks @ 100 degrees while towing.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try taping a piece of black cardboard behind the grill (just looks better) and see if it does the same thing.