New Ford Raptor in development....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heard a rumer that ford was testing a bodyless truck in the desert and it had an ecoboost you could hear the the turbos

Well they have been to SDHQ and talked with the guys there. They also did the Baja with the Eco and the way everything is going it would no surprise me to see some sort of Eco option in the future.

Sent from my iFruit using life invader.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love reading these kinds of threads. Ford prepares for every possibility with every model. They of course have a Raptor on the atlas platform, but they have had all kinds of concepts that were kick ass that never saw production either.

As of August, I was told that SVT does have a next gen Raptor, but it had not got the nod from the glass tower. That said, the GT500 is a good seller, and Ford has a next gen Shelby ready to go. The Raptor is every bit as good a seller as the gt500 has been, so I can't fathom that even the bean counters at Ford would want to see the Raptor cut.

Ford will build something for sure, if not, they aren't utilizing SVT for its full potential, and it has to cover its overhead at the very least. The real question is- if the new body s550 mustang precludes the 5.8, thus ending the GT500, (its over for that build regardless what you read out there) the GT350 will be equally as compelling Im sure, so would we be seeing the same thing happen on the Atlas platform? If the 6.2 is phased out, does that fundamental change keep it from being a Raptor? I don't think so in this case. It doesn't take a doctorate in economics to realize that canceling the raptor would be the biggest mistake Ford could make, especially since the raptor doesn't have the Shelby name to use to make a smooth transition like the gt500 to gt350 will be.

Ford did a gen 2 lightning, so its no leap of faith that the raptor could see itself new and improved, and I am sitting on a 75k mile 2011 wondering what exactly to do myself. Im not quite ready to part with my truck, but if Ford did cut the program, and I didnt trade up to a 2014 in time, I'd never forgive myself. If Ford comes back with a gen 2 in 2016, and I traded in my 2011 on a 2014, it would suck as I could have paid off my 2011 and kept it to have both gens, and would be stuck with only the 2014. (Either case not a terrible scenario as I still get to own at least one, but ideally, waiting is probably the right thing to do for me.)

Last edited:

BobbyVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain,I have a 2010 king ranch and want to order a 2014 raptor...would love to wait for the next generation but I feel my truck is worth more now with 60,000 then it will be with even more miles 2 years from now..If they do away with the 6.2 and try a new setup and get a new engine I really wouldn't want the new model... Think of all the shudder problems the Eco boosts had. And if they lighten up the frame...who knows what kind of structure issues they may have...would def want to wait a year and let all the kinks work themselves out and that's more miles on my current truck.

Too many what ifs...it's driving me nuts....more than likely pulling the trigger on a 14 as soon as I find the best deal..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AlexRiedel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that, as another poster pointed out, there will be no 2015 Raptor. The SVT team will most likely not finish development simultaneous with the F-150 development. I have also heard somewhere that Ford will, because of the high demand, build the current F-150 and the new one with a six month overlap rather than a complete stop and retooling. Not sure if that has anything to it.

At any rate, I have always found that staying away from a new model for the first year or two avoids having to deal with all the initial flaws and problems.
I got a 2013, I am thinking that will carry me well into 2016-17 and I'll see what's up then.

If I would need to swap now, I'd get a 2014. Either you have the last of its breed and the price will go up, or it will serve you well until the next generation has matured.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love reading these kinds of threads. Ford prepares for every possibility with every model. They of course have a Raptor on the atlas platform, but they have had all kinds of concepts that were kick ass that never saw production either.

As of August, I was told that SVT does have a next gen Raptor, but it had not got the nod from the glass tower. That said, the GT500 is a good seller, and Ford has a next gen Shelby ready to go. The Raptor is every bit as good a seller as the gt500 has been, so I can't fathom that even the bean counters at Ford would want to see the Raptor cut.

Ford will build something for sure, if not, they aren't utilizing SVT for its full potential, and it has to cover its overhead at the very least. The real question is- if the new body s550 mustang precludes the 5.8, thus ending the GT500, (its over for that build regardless what you read out there) the GT350 will be equally as compelling Im sure, so would we be seeing the same thing happen on the Atlas platform? If the 6.2 is phased out, does that fundamental change keep it from being a Raptor? I don't think so in this case. It doesn't take a doctorate in economics to realize that canceling the raptor would be the biggest mistake Ford could make, especially since the raptor doesn't have the Shelby name to use to make a smooth transition like the gt500 to gt350 will be.

Ford did a gen 2 lightning, so its no leap of faith that the raptor could see itself new and improved, and I am sitting on a 75k mile 2011 wondering what exactly to do myself. Im not quite ready to part with my truck, but if Ford did cut the program, and I didnt trade up to a 2014 in time, I'd never forgive myself. If Ford comes back with a gen 2 in 2016, and I traded in my 2011 on a 2014, it would suck as I could have paid off my 2011 and kept it to have both gens, and would be stuck with only the 2014. (Either case not a terrible scenario as I still get to own at least one, but ideally, waiting is probably the right thing to do for me.)

Dubbs you make good points. Mine is a highly modified 2011 and is getting more and more miles even if it is no longer my DD. Will not be keeping it till the next one come out if it does because of the mileage issue. The engine as I have said before is what is scaring me. I will not buy anything but a N/A engine so with Ford not being up to speed on getting the MPG’s out of the N/A variable displacement (think that is the term) it just may be a non N/A engine. When GM finally releases the new 6.2 to the truck lines that will be my next vehicle. By the time the new Raptor come out and has a year on production to get the bugs out then I will get another one.

Am looking at the Stingray now and am waiting to see what GM does with the power plant over the next year. Have high expectations on GM putting a lot more HP in that little devil.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why all the concerns over a weaker frame? I think technology will win out and provide a lighter stronger truck. Has ford ever had a backwards step from one generation to the next. [maybe the 70's] The new toyotas ,chevys as well the mopars are out, the goal will be to best them. the 6.2 could be reworked just as gmc did. hell a 8 speed trans should not be out of the realm of possibilities . Really the thing that seems GOOFY is the huge chrome fronts that look macho but are made of plastic like model cars from my youth.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forget the 8 speeds. 9 or 10 speeds are in the works.

And yes, they will be producing the old truck alongside the new truck for a couple months.

bubbajr

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum and had to reply to this thread.
I have been drooling over these trucks since they came out and now I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to buy one.
Finally!
My problem is I like the new atlas design and the rendering top speed did of "what the new raptor will probably look like". I know there is a lot of controversy about the ecoboost but I like the idea of a 5.0 liter ecoboost which I heard was a rumor.
I have also read that they are going to discontinue the raptor after 2014. (unreliable sources).
So, being a non-owner of one, I am left with a huge decision. Should I go get a 2014 and be really mad if a 2015 or 2016 comes out or should I wait and be mad if they discontinue.
The only benefit of the later choice is I can pick up a used one if they do discontinue but I'd rather buy a new one.
Thanks.

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the only problem with waiting and they do discontinue you will have to pay a premium even for the used ones. if it were me i would get the 2014 and trust me you will not be disappointed and if they come out with a new version you can always trade up.