My notes on 2” Spacer vs RPG collars VS SDI Top hats level kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My level kit journey on the 22 Raptor 37pp thus far…

Spacer Level (yeah…)

This being my first Raptor I had allot to learn. When I first bought the truck the dealer offered to level it for me. I took them up on it. Well… their version of level was to install a 2” spacer on top of the top hat… I didn’t find out that was bad till I joined this group. Lucky for the 8k miles the spacer kit was on it caused no damage. Truck rode fine.. almost like an old caddy but sat 3/4” higher in the front. I didn’t like the look and in turns body roll was a bit much. CV angles didn’t look bad imo. Upper control arm angle was a bit on the steeper side. I didn’t off road the truck during this time but it felt very unstable at high speed. Like it was floating.

RPG 1.5” Collar

Got these installed. Man what a world of difference. Had the install done by a new dealer and the shocks Zero’d out. Truck sat perfectly level, rode amazing and just felt more idk… planted on the road. Off-roading the truck for the first time with these on and it was a bit stiffer than a friends non modified gen3. I did actually prefer my truck as the stock gen3 still felt mushy. Drove like this for 18,500 miles. No issues.

SDI Top Hat

I had these installed to see what everyone was talking bout. Getting rid of the “weak point” of the stock top-hats. Truck sat 1/2” nose high and rode just like the spacer level kit. Going through round abouts and taking sharp turns off road was not confidence inspiring. I also at times under hard acceleration the truck would sway side to side like I was riding a wave. Made sure the shocks were zero’s out again… had alignment check but idk… I just didn’t like the feeling. I didn’t get it.

Leads us to today… I put the RPG collars back on. I don’t think I’ll do springs as the things I’ve seen blowing out the stock top hats. Just wanted to share my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_7925 Edited.jpeg
    IMG_7925 Edited.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 51

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, I haven’t heard anyone complain about the top hats like that. I wonder if the floaty feeling you’re describing is a consequence of being high in the front?

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My exact thought.
Because as incorrect of a way to lift this truck as a 2” tophat spacer is, it shouldn’t really affect ride quality, and at static ride height shouldn’t be much different than anyone on springs that lift the front 2”. The big issue is when you fully droop the suspension and break your cv’s because everything tries to go 2” lower than designed.

OP
OP
Keith88

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because as incorrect of a way to lift this truck as a 2” tophat spacer is, it shouldn’t really affect ride quality, and at static ride height shouldn’t be much different than anyone on springs that lift the front 2”. The big issue is when you fully droop the suspension and break your cv’s because everything tries to go 2” lower than designed.
I know. I know... its the oddest thing but what my truck likes is the RPG..

OCGen3

Reaction score
I'm looking at the EClik setup for my 22' and the installer was highly recommending the top hats vs eibach or collars. Would you say the front end felt softer with the top hats than with the collars or similar but with the unstable feeling? I've got eibachs on now and they're pretty stiff for my liking.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the EClik setup for my 22' and the installer was highly recommending the top hats vs eibach or collars. Would you say the front end felt softer with the top hats than with the collars or similar but with the unstable feeling? I've got eibachs on now and they're pretty stiff for my liking.
One key to springs is changing preload doesn’t change the stiffness of the spring itself. Any perceived stiffness is general due to decreased droop causing suspension to not ride over holes as smoothly. Since the top hats are one part preload one part spacer, they don’t lose as much droop as a collar.

OP
OP
Keith88

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Front end was mushy with top hats and spacers.