More Ecoboost Ford Raptor evidence for 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locouno

Reaction score
if only ford came out with a turbo diesel like the 99-03 7.3 f250.. im sold

i agree but the 7.3 wouldnt meet emission standards sure wish they did a retrofit to make em meet the standards put a starter and a belt or two in the 5 years i had one.

ESRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would still go for a 6 cylinder turbo diesel. After having been around diesels and seeing what you can do with them, it would be a no brainer for me. While the suspension on a Raptor keeps you from towing tons of weight, your allowable towing would become more efficient. Over the long haul, I still believe diesels are a better bet, even if they have higher maintenence costs.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before I got my Raptor, I test drove an 2013 FX4 crew cab with the 3.5 EcoBoost. It really felt gutless to me, like it couldn't get out of it's own way. And I could barely hear it running at idle. It just didn't feel like a truck should feel.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I love the sound of a big V-8 and generally prefer the reliability and low end torque provided by bigger displacement, naturally aspirated engines over smaller boosted ones, especially in a truck. That being said, I can't dispute the fact that the F-150s with the Eco-Boost motor are quicker than the Raptor and it supposedly makes more torque. Also it gets a lot better fuel economy, however, a guy at my local Ford dealership stated that it doesn't do much better than the 6.2 L if the stock trucks are fitted with bigger tires and lower axle ratios, etc. Regardless, here's a pretty compelling youtube video from an outfit called SDHQ, who have put together their own Eco-Raptor:

SDHQ's Twin-Turbo Eco-Raptor - TUNED - YouTube

Seriously, the only 3 things I don't like about my 6.2 L Raptor SCREW is the 13 mpg I'm getting in mixed hwy / city driving, the lack of low end torque (compared to my previous '01 Ram Cummins TD), and the lack of a manual transmission option (also compared to my Ram, which had a nice 5 speed stick that was great fun to shift, except in city traffic). A supercharger would be great fun, but the truck already cost me too much and already gets such abysmal mileage, plus I'd sure hate to void my warranty.

I see where you're coming from, but that's the nature of the game. Hell, my new Raptor will get better mileage than my current Titan. And you can't compare the torque of a diesel to a gasoline motor, it's apples and oranges.

Before I got my Raptor, I test drove an 2013 FX4 crew cab with the 3.5 EcoBoost. It really felt gutless to me, like it couldn't get out of it's own way. And I could barely hear it running at idle. It just didn't feel like a truck should feel.

I felt the same way having driven both. The Ecoboost had some power, but it was so quiet, I felt so disconnected from the road. Did not like it.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who would have considered the Raptor if it were offered with the EcoBoost, while I think the real world results (performance/MPG) are negligible (and long term costs likely higher than the 6.2) I know Ford would sell a ton. Having also driven both I would never trade my 6.2 for the EcoBoost. Though if it were an option I'd make sure I had the chance to drive a tuned EcoBoost just to see the difference.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the sound of a big V-8 and generally prefer the reliability and low end torque provided by bigger displacement, naturally aspirated engines over smaller boosted ones, especially in a truck. That being said, I can't dispute the fact that the F-150s with the Eco-Boost motor are quicker than the Raptor and it supposedly makes more torque.
As for torque, the 6.2 is rated higher than the 3.5 "Eco". And according to Motor Trend online a 2012 Lariat Screw 4WD W/Ecoboost times were:0-60=6.6 seconds, and the 1/4 mile=15.2 seconds. A 2012 Raptor Screw weighs over 400 lbs. more than the Lariat yet the times were exactly the same:0-60=6.6 & 1/4 mile=15.2

Last edited:

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest difference would come from upgrades, boosted motors benefit a whole lot more from intake, exhaust, and tuning modifications.

Mahukaawenui

Reaction score
My son has a 2012 150 w/ the ecoboost. Its alright and is a little easier on the gas but putting it in a Raptor? Isnt that kinda going against the purpose of having one?
And by the way FODE the 7.3 in my f450 is an awesome engine. Best diesel I've ever owned

elizaharry

Reaction score
The latest addition to the Ford F-150 lineup is the Tremor, a new sport truck coming in the 2014 model year.