Low torque at WOT no fault codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Raptor_Kiwi2

Reaction score
Our trucks don't do that to the intake.

I love all the arm chair tech's acting like they would even know where to begin with this issue...LMAO

238* coolant will pull timing, and I'm sure MCT is plenty high by that point as well to be reducing timing (the ecu start reducing timing at 100* MCT, 200* coolant). Keep in mind, the tables that do this timing pull are meant to pull timing from the already optimistic borderline/mbt timing tables. So they're not pulling timing to reduce power per se, but more so for the ecu to get ahead of potential knock. Instead of allowing it to knock, then pulling timing, Ford determined how much timing to pull per temperature to keep things happier.

And it is also likely in COT or FOT (catalyst or flange over temp) protection, which reduces enriches AFR without going into PE/OP mode, and if temps keep climbing will reduce target load (close the throttle, less boost, etc). But we need to see data logs :)
Im looking at installing the 170* thermostat. Whether the engine is designed to run that hot or not is irrelevant to me. Oil temp needs to reach 212*F to make sure moisture is burnt off but that shouldn’t be an issue even with the lower temp stat. I’m looking into getting forscan and a better laptop so I can data log. The plugs and coils made a world of difference and I only noticed the issue at wide open now. I also made a mistake and gapped the plugs at 0.31 instead of ( I guess 0.28 is the consensus) per information found here. Going to re-gap and re-test. One other thing I noticed when replacing the plugs and coils, the high pressure fuel pump was extremely hot. Wayyyy hotter than the ones on my bmw m5 get. They are the exact same design pump so I’m wondering if that hpfp is good.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at installing the 170* thermostat. Whether the engine is designed to run that hot or not is irrelevant to me. Oil temp needs to reach 212*F to make sure moisture is burnt off but that shouldn’t be an issue even with the lower temp stat. I’m looking into getting forscan and a better laptop so I can data log. The plugs and coils made a world of difference and I only noticed the issue at wide open now. I also made a mistake and gapped the plugs at 0.31 instead of ( I guess 0.28 is the consensus) per information found here. Going to re-gap and re-test. One other thing I noticed when replacing the plugs and coils, the high pressure fuel pump was extremely hot. Wayyyy hotter than the ones on my bmw m5 get. They are the exact same design pump so I’m wondering if that hpfp is good.

Data data data.

You can log commanded and actual rail pressure.

OP
OP
R

Raptor_Kiwi2

Reaction score
Data data data.

You can log commanded and actual rail pressure.
I did that earlier and they matched during multiple pulls. What I did notice was every cylinder had combustion quality fault counters ranging from 1 to 8, with cylinder ls 3,4,5 being the highest. Didn’t log a misfire tho. I’m going to gap down the plugs and repeat the test.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score

I love all the arm chair tech's acting like they would even know where to begin with this issue...LMAO

238* coolant will pull timing, and I'm sure MCT is plenty high by that point as well to be reducing timing (the ecu start reducing timing at 100* MCT, 200* coolant). Keep in mind, the tables that do this timing pull are meant to pull timing from the already optimistic borderline/mbt timing tables. So they're not pulling timing to reduce power per se, but more so for the ecu to get ahead of potential knock. Instead of allowing it to knock, then pulling timing, Ford determined how much timing to pull per temperature to keep things happier.

And it is also likely in COT or FOT (catalyst or flange over temp) protection, which reduces enriches AFR without going into PE/OP mode, and if temps keep climbing will reduce target load (close the throttle, less boost, etc). But we need to see data logs :)

Not sure who you’re referencing here with the arm-chair tech comment, but 238F coolant temp gets you much more than a little timing pull. You wouldn’t be thinking about the ignition timing as there would be other issues in your face. I was only referencing things that can cause odd running under load and not have other obvious indications.

I use both Cobb and HPTuners software/code across my few vehicles if you would like to compare notes…. I did maintain combat aircraft that make automotive electronic systems management look like Chinese tinker-toys a bit longer than I did as an auto “tech”, but I am sitting in my retired “arm chair” now.

Last edited: