Low torque at WOT no fault codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor_Kiwi2

Reaction score
Quick question for all the gen 2 owners. My truck has always felt less torquey at wide open throttle, like it isn’t making any boost pressure, and when accelerating between 50% and 99% throttle the truck accelerates in stages. Meaning I get a little torque, then more, and then more, you can feel it, it’s noticeable and annoying. Dealer can’t figure it out and I doubt they’ve tried to replicate it. I’ve requested test drives with a foreman and gotten told “ that’s just normal for those trucks”. Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone manage to fix it?IMG_1160.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What mods are on the truck?
The picture explains a lot, stop parking next to bmw’s and maybe the truck will forgive you.
Does your truck get a steady diet of 93 octane?
have you or any previous owners tuned it?
have you or any previous owners made any changes under the hood?

The torque delivery is managed heavily on the Rap. If you take off in 4a/sport mode at WFO are you getting full boost on the gauge?
all things being equal, a healthy ecoboost Rap should be doing a sub 6 second 0-60 and about a 14.0 1/4 mile

That said, @downforce137 pointed out the boost is metered heavily while you’re moving. if you nail it from - I think around 30-60, the boost is gradually fed in, no sudden hit. I thought this was some problem he might have had with his truck but I confirmed it in mine, and she runs strong. There’s also a very rare throttle fluttering in steady cruising - a former user -03Darin(?) had it troubleshot - he worked at a dealer and it got all the way to Ford Engineering more than once. I swear sometimes I can notice this but if I try to replicate it the sensation is gone.

You need to be in sport mode; eco normal drive mode is lazy AF. it jumps to the highest gear available and will fight you to stay in that gear. Mine will even remain in 3rd for a few seconds after a complete stop. This is particularly aggravating in neighborhoods with frequent stops.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
What mods are on the truck?
The picture explains a lot, stop parking next to bmw’s and maybe the truck will forgive you.
Does your truck get a steady diet of 93 octane?
have you or any previous owners tuned it?
have you or any previous owners made any changes under the hood?

The torque delivery is managed heavily on the Rap. If you take off in 4a/sport mode at WFO are you getting full boost on the gauge?
all things being equal, a healthy ecoboost Rap should be doing a sub 6 second 0-60 and about a 14.0 1/4 mile

That said, @downforce137 pointed out the boost is metered heavily while you’re moving. if you nail it from - I think around 30-60, the boost is gradually fed in, no sudden hit. I thought this was some problem he might have had with his truck but I confirmed it in mine, and she runs strong. There’s also a very rare throttle fluttering in steady cruising - a former user -03Darin(?) had it troubleshot - he worked at a dealer and it got all the way to Ford Engineering more than once. I swear sometimes I can notice this but if I try to replicate it the sensation is gone.

You need to be in sport mode; eco normal drive mode is lazy AF. it jumps to the highest gear available and will fight you to stay in that gear. Mine will even remain in 3rd for a few seconds after a complete stop. This is particularly aggravating in neighborhoods with frequent stops.
My wife put a tank of 87 octane in mine once, we almost divorced.

OP
OP
R

Raptor_Kiwi2

Reaction score
Nothing but 93 fuel, no mods. Always driven in sport mode. The boost gauge goes full but the truck feels weak. Below half on the gauge and lighter throttle the truck is more responsive and pulls harder. It got new plugs a year ago at 56k miles ( give it take a bit). Has had regular oil changes every 5k miles at the dealer. I purchased this truck from the sales manager of my local dealer, he was the only owner and the truck was always stock. I’ve scanned the car for faults multiple times but no faults are ever stored.The BMW is my one of 570 manual F10 M5’s, and it’s an individual. The raptor is more likely to leave the pairing than the bmw lol. It’s a forever car. The truck has a full ESC platinum factory warranty but the dealer won’t do anything ( even tho we work for the same dealership group, I’m a bmw master elite and HV technician ) because they “can’t reproduce the concern”. They don’t test drive it because I can track it with my airtag and I’ve mentioned it before. They drive it at 40mph, no faults and NPF it out the door. It’s really frustrating.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe go "test drive" a used one on a lot somewhere and see if it's different. You may also be experience leaf spring wrap. My linked Gen 3 feels much snappier than my 2018 did.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve driven 2 other gen2’s and neither of them did the same thing.

id suggest finding a local raptor dude and racing him to see if its normal.. sounds like it might be if the boost gauge is topping out..

its still a 6K lbs truck with 450hp.. its not a super fast vehicle, especially with big tires..

or perhaps a dyno shop might find something.. you'd probably hear a boost leak, and also theres a code that will pop for that..

are you pulling codes with forscan or an autozone scanner?

OP
OP
R

Raptor_Kiwi2

Reaction score
id suggest finding a local raptor dude and racing him to see if its normal.. sounds like it might be if the boost gauge is topping out..

its still a 6K lbs truck with 450hp.. its not a super fast vehicle, especially with big tires..

or perhaps a dyno shop might find something.. you'd probably hear a boost leak, and also theres a code that will pop for that..

are you pulling codes with forscan or an autozone scanner?
Foxwell NT510 ford diagnostic tool. It’s not an Autozone scanner. I have 2 way control, can program modules, reset adaptation tables, view live data etc. I’ve hand checked all of the common areas for leaks etc. everything is tight and sealed. I suspect the ecu is pulling timing for some reason, and I suspect maybe weak ignition coils and plugs. I’m going to replace both and report back. I live in Massachusetts, they’re isn’t a Raptor community here ( despite seeing them daily lol)