Lightweight, Quiet, Road-centric All-Terrain Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sported these Kumho's after the KO2's until I couldn't take the noise anymore.
But Bruno is a concrete warrior 95% time too, so bad choice.
View attachment 165622

So trying these out now: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3, 60lbs ea.
Real smooth and quiet on the road but more street truck looking IMO. But it's nice to cruise with the windows down and the radio at a comfortable level.View attachment 165624

I hate advertising tires or seeing the writing - all tires should be turned so the print is inward IMO

zhengyucoo

Reaction score
I would just get 2 set, save the lot for stupid stuff and get a set of full on road tire and rim.

Sethrad

Reaction score
Toyo/Nitto that would go on a Raptor...they are all made right here in the US...not Japan. Both “supposedly” have a very high silicon content in their compound...and that has some benefits. The Toyo A/T 3, although I have not driven this tire yet, seems to have some outstanding reviews and appears to be a general overall improvement over their already highly regarded A/T2. That’s the direction I’m going for my ride in Middle TN.

jroub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Pirellis as an OEM tire on a 2014 Fx4 - they are garbage. Horrible in anything but dry pavement, worst tire in sand I've ever had, and I've had a lot of AT, Hybrid, and MT tires on my 8 Ford trucks going back to 2000. I ended up taking them off at 17K mi they were so bad. The should NOT be rated as an AT tire IMO. I personally wouldn't buy any of those you listed with the possible exception of the KO2s.

Same. Had scorpions on my ‘14 lariat. They are utterly worthless in snow. Trash in mud. It was pathetic! Normal road travel tho, beautiful.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At nearly 41,000 miles my OEM BFG KO2s are nearly toast. Based on remaining tread they’ll make it to about 45,000 miles before needing replacement

HOW?? I'm just shy of 41,000 miles and I'm about to replace my second set of KO2s. I got 22k from the first set and can probably eek out the same from this second set.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At nearly 41,000 miles my OEM BFG KO2s are nearly toast. Based on remaining tread they’ll make it to about 45,000 miles before needing replacement, but they are so loud at this point I can’t wait to get rid of them and am considering trying a different tire. I’ll be keeping the stock size of 315/70R17

My driving is nearly 100% on-road. The only time my truck goes off pavement is to go onto construction job sites (construction PM). I also care about performance and weight savings, so I’m not considering any tires that weigh more than the KO2.

I want something that has great on-road manners and good performance in the wet for the Florida summer downpours. Quiet is important as well, I’m very tired of road noise, especially after listening to the KO2 from about 25,000 miles on.

I’ve done a lot of research and narrowed the field to the following tires:

BFG KO2 - 64.4 lbs
Cooper AT3 XLT - 64 lbs
Nitro Terra Grappler G2 - 63.9 lbs
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus - 63 lbs
Yokohama Geolandar G015 - 61.2 lbs

They are all lightweight and quiet from reviews I’ve read. One notable exclusion from the list that is a very lightweight option is the Goodyear DuraTrac - every review and comment I’ve read concerning them says they are louder than the KO2 so they are out.

I’m not interested in the typical Nitto Ridge Grappler / Falken Wildpeak / Toyo Open Country / etc. 70 lb. tire recommendations. Those are the opposite of what I’m looking for.

Right now the Yokohama Geolandar G015 and Cooper AT3 XLT are at the top of my list. Does anyone have experience with both tires where they can make a comparison between the two? Also looking for your feedback on any one of the listed tires to help in the decision-making process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are staying with an AT tire then you already have the best money can buy. The KO2s are the best all round AT tire for the Raptor. It amazes me how many opinions are extreme. Everything from garbage to best tire ever made. Nonsense. If your hearing is so sensitive that you can tell the difference between the top rated AT tires then you will be unhappy with ALL AT tires. Stick with the tire that carried the Raptor through the BAJA 1000. Go E rated if you are carrying heavy loads. Go with all season if you are strictly on road but if AT is what your looking for then look no further than the KO2. Some tires may be...slightly...better at one aspect or another but the KO2 is the best rounded tire for AT.