Lightweight, Quiet, Road-centric All-Terrain Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Was in the same dilemma as you and replacing mine within the next 2 weeks on some fresh 2020 powder coated wheels. I have decided to go back with the KO2 C Rated factory tires. I like the way they look and when ran at proper PSI on these trucks and rotated regularly, they can last and ride smooth!

OP
OP
titanjc

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOW?? I'm just shy of 41,000 miles and I'm about to replace my second set of KO2s. I got 22k from the first set and can probably eek out the same from this second set.
Damn! I thought 40k-ish was pretty average, I know a few people on here have posted about getting over 50k on the KO2.

You do know the throttle isn’t an on/off switch and you can ease into it instead of just lighting up the tires, right? Haha!

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are seriously considering Nitto Terras, just go ahead and jump to Ridge Grapplers. So much better on the truck. I am cringing at the thought of basic street tires. They can’t be that much louder, maybe a couple dbs???
I would also say I had zero issues in rain and snow with my Ridge Grapplers.
My KO2s were so loud at 40k miles I jettisoned them 5k miles early to go to Ridge Grapplers. Can’t yet report on noise levels of the Grapplers at higher miles, but I dropped from 75db interior level at 65mph with old KO2s to about 66db same speed and road with the Grapplers. I was able to test same conditions in a standard F150 with street GY Wranglers and got 64db.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in agreement with those who don't seem to have an issue with the KO2's and they are wearing quite well at 20k miles so far. I can see them getting louder as they wear, that's what AT tires do, but does anyone have enough mileage on the Coopers to comment how a 40k mile KO2 compares in noise to a 40k mile Cooper?

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in agreement with those who don't seem to have an issue with the KO2's and they are wearing quite well at 20k miles so far. I can see them getting louder as they wear, that's what AT tires do, but does anyone have enough mileage on the Coopers to comment how a 40k mile KO2 compares in noise to a 40k mile Cooper?
There seems to be a lot of variance on the treadwear of the OEM KO2s. I bought my 2018 used with 15K on the clock, and the OEM tires were basically shot at that point. I drove another 3K on them, then replaced them with the Yokohama MTs, which are awesome in every way except noise. They were very quiet when new (for a MT), but now are LOUD after 35K. They have at least 15K more in them though.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I plan on doing what one of the regulars in here said they do, I forget who it was. They said they sell their KO2's on Craigslist when they are half worn for 5 or 6 hundred and buy a quiet new set for yourself.

I never knew there was a pretty active market in used truck tires.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a raptor those would look like a ***** ass tire as you put it.

Eh, I don’t think so. But maybe?

065F926B-6CFC-4632-9BE4-81F511BE3BD8.jpeg

I’m no expert on truck tires, as this is my first truck and I got it used with these Pirelli Scorpion AT+ already on it. But I’ve taken it off road without issue onto dirt mountain roads and somewhat icy conditions at one point. I can’t complain. They’ve been through Appalachian storms and I live in one of the rainiest parts of Florida. I remember the tire noise on my dad’s Jeep and F-150s when I was a kid. I don’t hear these at all, I often drive with the windows down, and they are excellent in our rain.

You know when you’re in other states in a downpour and the only other person crazy enough to pass you is also from Florida? I’ve been that guy on every roadtrip since I bought my truck.

I’d say that for Florida, the Pirelli’s are fine. I’ll have to sand test it further out in Croom, but I don’t think I’ll have an issue. If we dealt with blow sand or something like that it might be a different story.

F6F12D6E-7BC4-493A-B96D-5B606EF1C3DB.jpeg

That said, those Cooper’s look nice. It’ll be a difficult decision for me when my Raptor needs new shoes.