Its not looking good boys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what his mileage was?

For this next engine, I guess to help keep it as long as I can, I will religiously do oil changes at every 7500.
7500 miles is nuts. 5k max. I doubt oil had anything to do with the crank cracking though.

But ask yourself, does the manufacturer (this is not a Ford only thing) have any incentive for your engine to last past 120,000miles.

If oils are better than they were 15, 20, 30 years ago, (which they are) why is it that I am doing more internal engine repairs than I was 25 years ago? Why is it that my friend who administers a warranty company and has 15 years of data can show me that across the board the average engine life is dropping, 15 years ago it was 117,000 miles and today his data shows it is around 105,000.

The oils are better, but the only advantage the customer is seeing is saving a few$$$ on oil changes. They are not getting extended engine life.

Over 100,000 miles it would be an extra 7 oil changes (5000 mile interval vs 7500) that is $700 worst case. That is a drop in the bucket compared to what an engine + turbos costs.

The extended oil changes and in fact all the extended maintenance intervals (diff fluid, trans, coolant) are pushed by the EPA. They don't want the waste products in the environment, so you can only partially blame the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
7500 miles is nuts. 5k max. I doubt oil had anything to do with the crank cracking.

But ask yourself, does the manufacturer (this is not a Ford only thing) have any incentive for your engine to last past 120,000miles.

If oils are better than they were 15, 20, 30 years ago, (which they are) why is it that I am doing more internal engine repairs than I was 25 years ago? Why is it that my friend who administers a warranty company and has 15 years of data can show me that across the board the average engine life is dropping, 15 years ago it was 117,000 miles and today his data shows it is around 105,000.
Man I miss these days. For a long time I was a mechanical claims adjuster for an extended warranty then insurance company and man it was fun.

I loved talking and looking at cars all day but jerking my fingernails clean

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
7500 miles is nuts. 5k max. I doubt oil had anything to do with the crank cracking though.

The oils are better, but the only advantage the customer is seeing is saving a few$$$ on oil changes. They are not getting extended engine life.

Over 100,000 miles it would be an extra 7 oil changes (5000 mile interval vs 7500) that is $700 worst case. That is a drop in the bucket compared to what an engine + turbos costs.

The extended oil changes and in fact all the extended maintenance intervals (diff fluid, trans, coolant) are pushed by the EPA. They don't want the waste products in the environment, so you can only partially blame the manufacturer.

Great point. @Old-Raptor-guy

I find it a shame though and now I understand why some of my other partners have gone to older trucks recently.. old Chevys and old Ford 250/350 platforms.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

People won't bat an eye at spending $2k for ceramic coat, and $200 a month on maintenance washes to keep their vehicles shiny, but then they won't bother to change their oil. And thats the people that "care" about their car.

Then I get the people that call, "the little red tea kettle light has been on in my car for a week, whats that mean?"

Modern engine are MUCH more sensitive to low oil level/pressure conditions and oil that has far surpassed the change interval. That is the main reason (IMO) your warranty company friend sees average engine life going down. The low oil thing is made worse buy the extended interval because at worst at a 3k interval, most engines would maybe a quart low and thats tolerable. But 7500, 10k+ is worse and people NEVER check their oil.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but... when I got the Rap it had been ~11-12 YEARS since I’d bought a car and when I read that part of the manual I was like “Are you kidding me, 10k miles between oil changes”? I think the most I could bring myself to do was once I went 6900 miles between - I get routine analysis done but by that time we were seeing some of the cam phaser issues and I’m not comfortable with that long an interval so I’ve been doing at 5k or just over since.

At first I was going by the book but after some of the more educated FRF here started providing feedback on long intervals, I’ve been keeping to the tighter schedules. Like you say, we’ll spend 7 bucks on a cafe mocha, and balk at changing oil and doing maintenance at 5k intervals...

Mark Basler

Reaction score
Donavan- I had just finished upgrades and new Transmission, Garrett Turbos, injectors, CAI, AMS full exhaust , High Flow Catted pipes, Manifolds, full Install kit , All intake and from Mishimoto Intercooler was custom and AMS tubing . Now engine is most likely seized after 1 month?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
veryangryraptor