Its not looking good boys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In all the time we’ve spent yanking @Donovan’s chain I have to confess I may not be current

- got got a replacement motor - long block?
now sourcing turbos and hoping we have don’t end up with 2x same side turbos
What do you think the ETA is?
Are you going to go a bit more conservative on the tune?

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what his mileage was?

For this next engine, I guess to help keep it as long as I can, I will religiously do oil changes at every 7500.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
That broken crank looks suspiciously like it had a “bad” harmonic balancer on the nose. That failure wasn’t sudden, it developed from a crack caused by vibration and/or a flaw in the forging. I’ve seen bad machine work cause it as well. If the radius junctions at rod/main bearing journals are not perfect it sets up a stress point that will result in crack/fail just like in the photo. I had a crank fail similarly back in the day with my 6-cyl Chevy turning 8k rpm(?). Anyway, that’s not a “tune” problem. Edit: unless it was consistently over revving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can confirm, no over revving. Good info to know. I am still not happy about it. This ecoboost has had its fair share of mishaps.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That broken crank looks suspiciously like it had a “bad” harmonic balancer on the nose. That failure wasn’t sudden, it developed from a crack caused by vibration and/or a flaw in the forging. I’ve seen bad machine work cause it as well. If the radius junctions at rod/main bearing journals are not perfect it sets up a stress point that will result in crack/fail just like in the photo. I had a crank fail similarly back in the day with my 6-cyl Chevy turning 8k rpm(?). Anyway, that’s not a “tune” problem. Edit: unless it was consistently over revving.
Our cranks are forged?