Isn’t relocating intercooler in front of radiator an issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Reaction score
Search didn’t work for me.

I’m interested in mounting a winch discreetly and don’t love any of the aftermarket bumpers. So I’m interested in mounting the winch behind the stock bumper but the intercooler is there. There’s a solution out there to make the space available and mount the winch behind the bumper exactly how I would like it but...it requires you buy a new aluminum intercooler and mount it up higher, in front of the radiator for the engine. I’m sure the intercooler works great but it’s obviously blocking the radiator now. Yes, air gets around it to a degree but it’s not like the airflow is as good with it. Anyone have any insight? Am I missing something? Won’t the engine run hotter? I’m concerned with the high temps in California and my desert runs, that it’s asking for trouble.

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should not cause a problem. All of the full size diesels have much larger intercoolers in front of the radiator. The 3.5L EcoBoost intercooler is dinky in comparison.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not an issue. Many cars stack ac condenser/intercooler/radiator from the factory. The ambient temp differential of the air before and after passing through the intercooler isn’t as great as you might think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m conflicted/suspicious of that as well. Personally avoiding those type of aftermarket intercoolers simply b/c I truly can’t think of a more obvious way to flag your truck as modified to a dealer than one of those suckers peering directly through the grill & instantly obvious as you open good also requires removal/hacking up of a number of stock parts including grill shutters- and yeah in practical terms I would be concerned about cooling since the thing runs hot to begin with.

if you don’t care bout warranty at all then I would say much less of a concern

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2010 had issues with my KC lights and old ADD bumper blocking air flow. It only affected truck in hottest part of summers and at highway speeds , for a number of years. I have since went to low profile ADD bumper and got rid of lights , huge difference in airflow.

I'm leery of blocking any airflow now, that's why I went with Garret IC on my 19. But this is only in Arizona climate issue.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2010 has no intercooler. Lights block/deflect air in a really bad way, not so with an intercooler, air actually easily goes right though it, like magic! I face palm every time I see people with light bars inside their grills. This is actually the stupidest thing you can do in terms of ******* up your cooling.