Ignition Lock Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueHound

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here and this is my first post.

I'm having an issue with my ignition. Its been getting stiffer for about a week, hard to turn the key to start. Today now I cant turn it past ACC position to start it.

- First things I checked were: is it in park? - "P" is illuminated on dash so I assume this isnt it. I cant shift it out of park either (while pressing brake)
- Wiggle steering wheel while trying to turn key (wheel actually isn't locked at all like usually is) ive turned the damn thing over 90 degrees in both directions while trying to turn key - no go
- Lock cylinder issue? - I removed the cylinder, lubricated it, works just fine (turns fully when removed)
- Tried spare key as well, tapping key nothing
- I also disconnected the battery and touched terminals for full 5 mins to reset everything
- No trouble codes found on my reader

Remote start wont work (I made sure to close the hood)

Anyone else experience this before or have any ideas on what I can try next? Appreciate any help you guys and gals may have!

- Trevor

OP
OP
BlueHound

BlueHound

Reaction score
You might want to do a proper introduction in the new member thread and reference you need help post there to reach more members. Make sure to include picture of your Raptor.
Thank you for the reply. I did introduce myself when I joined and included photos. I'll add this to that chain to get more eyes. Appreciate the heads up!

OP
OP
BlueHound

BlueHound

Reaction score
Hey

How many kms? Could be that the cylinder is worn out. May need replacement which sounds costly.

I’m sure you’ll get some more intelligent and mature answers about a “stiff” ignition.
Only stiff when ya don’t want it to be lol. Key cylinder is good (I rekeyed it not long ago). Thinking it’s ignition switch (the actual electrical switch) now that’s hanging it up. Going to further diagnose and will follow up with what I find

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Only stiff when ya don’t want it to be lol. Key cylinder is good (I rekeyed it not long ago). Thinking it’s ignition switch (the actual electrical switch) now that’s hanging it up. Going to further diagnose and will follow up with what I find
Aw man. Definitely do a follow up, itd be another helpful thread for other when/if this happens.

OP
OP
BlueHound

BlueHound

Reaction score
Hi all. Success I got it fixed.

Ford wants $2,000 for a new steering column lol, nope. I tried to find a matching steering column at the wrecker. Out column part #s are apparently Raptor specific with power tilt, power telescopic, and with hydraulic steer assist (most of the F150s had not dual power , and most were electric steer assist) running about $350 a pop if one did exist (none in Canada available). I didn’t need a whole rack, just the ignition housing. Turns out that housing is pretty typical. I took a picture of the casting # on mine and managed to find a column (came out of a 2014 5.0 and manual tilt so likely this casting was common on all) at pick and pull for $60.

Brought the donor column home, removed the ignition housing: need to remove a blind roll pin at top which I did by tapping it, threading in small bolt then prying out. Had to drill out the lock as they didn’t have the keys. Insert my lock cylinder to disengage the steering lock pin. Then drive off the aluminum casting (carefully!) with wood block/hammer). Works like a champ now and I now have a better understanding of the trucks ignition system :p.

If anyone stumbles across this in the future with the same issue you can bypass this jammed actuator rod by removing the ignition switch (the electrical switch) on driver side of column and turning it with a flat head screwdriver so you aren’t stranded. You will still have to have the key inserted in the ignition cylinder on the passenger side of column so the antitheft can verify the key and know you’re not stealing it.

Attachments

• IMG_9822.jpeg
    IMG_9822.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9834.jpeg
    IMG_9834.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9836.jpeg
    IMG_9836.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9847.jpeg
    IMG_9847.jpeg